Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Canadian Article: Hybrids don't save money at all!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 01:11 PM
04 prius 350,000km
Default Re: Canadian Article: Hybrids don't save money at all!

see if I was an american then maybe owning a hybrid wouldn't be as "expensive" because you guys get the crazy tax credit and cheaper prices! As a Canadian if you truly want to save money then drive what I drive and turn off your own ICE!

Although I really hope the premium does drop as a Canadian though... 10 K extra is way too much... maybe 5 then I'll consider.

But Schawa... if you were to buy a prius from the states lets say... then there can be possible potenial savings but I'm not going to give 100 percent on this answer since I have no experience myself. Judging from the ebay priuses and what you have to do to import a car into Canada... it doesn't seem that bad at all.

A neighbor who owns a Navigator asked me "How long will it take for the hybridization option to pay for itself?"

My response, It'll pay for itself much quicker than your options will pay for themselves.
haha owned! But seriously these days a young person will go (In canadian point of view) a new GOLF GTI with over 240 horsepower or a Prius ... they cost exactly the same and in some cases... one can be more fun than the other. Its a shame people don't take global warming seriously because every little bit helps! Also I like quiet cars and the Prius fits into that category very well.

Quick question for Schawa, when cruising on the highway which is more quiet. Your prius or the cobalt?

Last edited by philmcneal; 03-02-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Yeah yeah yeah... The hybrid-haters' old drum beat of "You don't recoup the cost of investment" is just plain BORING.

How long does it take someone to "break even" on buying a "turbo" option?

How long does it take someone to "break even" on buying a V8 instead of a V6?

How long does it take someone to "break even" on buying a diesel engine instead of gasoline?

The hybrid propulsion system is simply an *option* that some people are willing to *pay* for. It's as simple as that.
OK, I see your diesel/gasoline example as a good analogy. But I don't think there are *many* people out there who would pay substantially more to just get a diesel engine, either. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that.)

The other suggested options (turbo, V8 vs. V6) have a difference - they provide something (more POWER/SPEED) that MANY people seem to value in a vehicle. IF someone is not a "greenie" or a "techie", as many people aren't (but many of US, here at GH, are), then the *only* benefit they will perceive from a hybrid is its alleged gas/cost savings. The hybrid drivetrain itself adds nothing that has CONVENTIONALLY been valued in a vehicle - things like power, speed, capacity (for hauling things/people), or luxury. I think we have to realize that we greenies and techies are more of a minority, in the world-at-large, than it may seem here at GH. So, while WE value many other things (beside $$ savings) about our hybrids, most people will see them as providing no benefit besides cost savings as a result of using less gas.

People are willing to pay for options like leather seats, high-end audio, bigger engines or bigger vehicles, because they value those things. They don't expect them to "pay for themselves" because they see the options as providing other (non-monetary) benefits. But the hybrid vehicle that is essentially the same (except for what "makes it go") as the non-hybrid is viewed (by many people) as providing nothing other than cost savings, so if it doesn't "pay for itself" there is *no* reason to get it.

Of course, to a "greenie" or a "techie", there IS another benefit, which is comparable in value (perhaps) to the benefit provided to an audiophile by a better sound system. (Similarly, a person who cares nothing for sound quality would be scratching their head over why someone would pay so much for a premium stereo; however, more people are familiar with "good sound" as a value, held by others if not themselves, than have ever known someone who is committed to 'green values' well enough to understand WHY they would pay more for something that benefits the environment. Sad, perhaps, but true I think.)

Consider a particular guaranteed investment (no risk of loss); to most people, the only relevant question is rate of return, because the only benefit (to them) of investing is making money. This is how most people see the hybrid option. But others might be willing to accept a lower return if they knew the money would be used for something they agree with. That's many of us, and probably many people who actually buy hybrids.

So it does make sense (for most of us GHies, certainly) to compare the "hybrid" option to other options, but it also makes sense that many, more "mainstream", people would not feel that it is comparable, or that the question "does it pay for itself" is relevant.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I can say without reservation that my own hybrid discovery has indeed saved our family considerable money.
In the past two years either the car has paid for itself vs a comparable regular Civic, or had funded the family's trip to Panama last year.

What we've learned about driving style plays a big part of that statement, but even though could not have been achieved to such measure in a regular car.

Additionally, if we'd have bought any other kind of car, we'd still be driving like it was any of our previous cars.
If I'd have chose the Civic EX my MPG would have likely been in the low 20's, not 60's. Our Grand Caravan would still be in the mid teens, not mid 20's.
Same holds true if we'd chose diesel.
No learning of efficiency, just blindly gas it-- complain & worry about cost, like I always did.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweetbeet
OK, I see your diesel/gasoline example as a good analogy. But I don't think there are *many* people out there who would pay substantially more to just get a diesel engine, either. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that.)

The other suggested options (turbo, V8 vs. V6) have a difference - they provide something (more POWER/SPEED) that MANY people seem to value in a vehicle. IF someone is not a "greenie" or a "techie", as many people aren't (but many of US, here at GH, are), then the *only* benefit they will perceive from a hybrid is its alleged gas/cost savings. The hybrid drivetrain itself adds nothing that has CONVENTIONALLY been valued in a vehicle - things like power, speed, capacity (for hauling things/people), or luxury. I think we have to realize that we greenies and techies are more of a minority, in the world-at-large, than it may seem here at GH. So, while WE value many other things (beside $$ savings) about our hybrids, most people will see them as providing no benefit besides cost savings as a result of using less gas.

People are willing to pay for options like leather seats, high-end audio, bigger engines or bigger vehicles, because they value those things. They don't expect them to "pay for themselves" because they see the options as providing other (non-monetary) benefits. But the hybrid vehicle that is essentially the same (except for what "makes it go") as the non-hybrid is viewed (by many people) as providing nothing other than cost savings, so if it doesn't "pay for itself" there is *no* reason to get it.

Of course, to a "greenie" or a "techie", there IS another benefit, which is comparable in value (perhaps) to the benefit provided to an audiophile by a better sound system. (Similarly, a person who cares nothing for sound quality would be scratching their head over why someone would pay so much for a premium stereo; however, more people are familiar with "good sound" as a value, held by others if not themselves, than have ever known someone who is committed to 'green values' well enough to understand WHY they would pay more for something that benefits the environment. Sad, perhaps, but true I think.)

Consider a particular guaranteed investment (no risk of loss); to most people, the only relevant question is rate of return, because the only benefit (to them) of investing is making money. This is how most people see the hybrid option. But others might be willing to accept a lower return if they knew the money would be used for something they agree with. That's many of us, and probably many people who actually buy hybrids.

So it does make sense (for most of us GHies, certainly) to compare the "hybrid" option to other options, but it also makes sense that many, more "mainstream", people would not feel that it is comparable, or that the question "does it pay for itself" is relevant.
I think you should send this to CP !
Well said..

Old 03-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
I think you should send this to CP !
Well said..
I Agree!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner

What's CP?

Old 03-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Yeah yeah yeah... The hybrid-haters' old drum beat of "You don't recoup the cost of investment" is just plain BORING.

How long does it take someone to "break even" on buying a "turbo" option?

How long does it take someone to "break even" on buying a V8 instead of a V6?

How long does it take someone to "break even" on buying a diesel engine instead of gasoline?

The hybrid propulsion system is simply an *option* that some people are willing to *pay* for. It's as simple as that.

Personally, I get a little tired of justify my choice of car to people who consider a Cadilac Escalade to be a "compact car".

The fact that I've enjoyed driving my car for 3.5 years is the only definition of "value" I need.
Hear, hear! I could not have said it better myself.