Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

A-BAT -- dip me blue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Engineering first
Talking A-BAT -- dip me blue

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22411518/

Toyota Motor Corp. plans to introduce a concept hybrid pickup truck featuring improved fuel economy and lower emissions at the 2008 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the automaker said Friday.
. . .
NOTE: MSNBC posted this photo, which thankfully, is not the pickup concept. Instead, it is a photo of some nightmare:

Ok, all I need is to be dipped in blue. Yes, now I'm almost ready:

Too much make-up, something simpler:

I really need to visit their design studio:

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 01-04-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Part Time Hybrids
Default Re: A-BAT -- dip me blue

Please explain here Bob, I'm confused as to what's funny?

That car is the Hi-CT concept, not the pickup.

Still I'll admit I wonder what kind of buyer would see anything in that blob. The Europeans perhaps?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Engineering first

Thanks for the clarification. I followed a link that reports:
Visitors look at Toyota Motor Corp's Hi-CT concept vehicle, an urban truck inspired by the silhouette of a gorilla, during the 40th Tokyo Motor Show in Chiba, east of Tokyo October 24, 2007. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon (JAPAN)
5:06 p.m. ET, 12/27/07
I hope they don't use that design . . . ever!

To me, it didn't look like a gorilla but an organ grinder's monkey. It doesn't inspire thoughts of strength and durability as much as something that belongs in a parade towing a float with Steve Martin and Robin Williams competing for laughs.

YECK!!!

Bob Wilson

Old 12-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

that makes the 74 AMC Matador look like a dream car!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Engineering first

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...FREE/795224079

Finally something that doesn't look like a joke:

That could be a cool ride. Give it say 1,500 lb towing and say an optional, 6 kW AC inverter option . . . this could a neat toolin' round town pickup.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...FREE/795224079

Finally something that doesn't look like a joke:

That could be a cool ride. Give it say 1,500 lb towing and say an optional, 6 kW AC inverter option . . . this could a neat toolin' round town pickup.

Bob Wilson
Hmm. Would I carry my bike(s) behind the front seat? In the bed? Always the first consideration. . . Where do I put the bikes?

Old 12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Energy Independence

I agree ,Bob. And centrider, 2 people and 2 bikes should be no problem. The fold-down mid-gate adds 2 feet to the bed, giving you 6 feet. Though, I might need more room than would be left over for luggage (on say, a trip). So, I'd probably have to get a roof rack or a hitch-mounted storage shelf thingie.
Where do I sign up?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Hybrid True Believer

From the front, the truck looks sort of like a locomotive -- very unique! Of course, production vehicles never look as wacky as the concepts. I certainly do like the idea of Toyota making a truck for NORMAL people who do occasional light hauling/towing and don't need a 6,000 pound land yacht because they're insecure about he reliability/size/width of their male reproductive organ.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Engineering first

What I'd like to see would be a segmented, slide-up and fold out, hard shell that could cover the back. When dealing with an oversized load, this cover could fold and slide into either the sides or even outside the truck bed.

When used as a commuting vehicle or with a small load, the hard cover would keep the payload dry and the high-speed drag down. But when an oversized load is needed, it would fold out of the way and easily handle furniture loads.

As for the bed, make sure it is a full, 8ft. without sacrificing the cabin area. For good measure, make the sides and tail removable so if you need a 'flat', you're good to go. This would support after-market, Green campers or my wife's RV.

Oh, don't forget the fishin' rod holder.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 12-30-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Here it is pictured with bikes in the bed:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/gallery...oncept/556494/

Quick Reply: A-BAT -- dip me blue

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands