Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.
View Poll Results: Do You Agree With the Story Oversized SUV's Are History?
Yes, in five years they will be dated
12.50%
Qualified yes - No longer the "hot vehicle", but still seen occasionally
62.50%
No, the target market is determined to have them
25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Agree With Story That Jumbo SUV's Are History?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Agree With Story That Jumbo SUV's Are History?

such as the hybrid-engined Toyota Prius — that go quite a bit further between $50 fill-ups.
Really? Last time I got gas it was a shade over 20 bucks.

Anyway, tough question. There are people who don't mind and want the jumbo SUV, but I think the people who don't are indeed drifting away, but is it enough to extinguish the jumbo SUV? I don't know.

The Excursion sized I can see dying and not returning, not for a long time if ever anyway. The Expedition sized I can see taking a dramatic hit, and becoming a true rarity on the road, but I can't see the Explorer sized taking much of a hit over the next few years, even if gas prices do indeed soar.

As for the small SUV, who knows? According to the state of Michigan, I drive a station wagon.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:56 AM
Go Army!

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
If you're driving some client around in a snowstorm and get into an accident, it would be a lawsuit for sure...besides, no one looks at houses in the snow.
Re the first part: that's exactly why you have insurance (at least I hope you do) -- and if you're really worried, buy higher limits for liability insurance

Re the second part: when we first saw our house almost four years ago, there were 4+ inches of snow on the ground

Old 01-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Personally, if there could be some engineering feat that would allow the tank-sized SUVs to get 30-35 MPG, then I think size would be less of an issue. Personally, I would still never own one, however. Even a fuel-efficient SUV would be hard to park, hard to maneuver, and fare poorly in an emergency swerve.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
....As for the small SUV, who knows? According to the state of Michigan, I drive a station wagon.
I see the CUV as a trend towards the now rare station wagon.