Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

$4 gasoline is coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: $4 gasoline is coming

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
The idea is intelluctually and fiscally bankrupt. Besides - Texas has no state income tax. They estimate each family with a car and truck saves $100 a summer, so the next state session, Texas may lose a billion in revenue. Then the already Legislature that was farther right than when Pres Bush was Govenor will go farther right in a contest of who is the baddest budget hawk like they did in 2003. They will try to raise "sin taxes" more, along with college tutitions, pretend some services are "non-essential".... a cynical move by politicans to get votes by cutting taxes when it's easy to balance the budget, then they will over cut it when times may not be as good two years from now.

Meanwhile in Dallas, I see plenty of people going at least 75 in a 60 - are they really hurting on gas money? If they are, their driving suggests they are eager to get kicked at the pump, so why help them until then?
OK. Well, I see you're the expert on Tx. So the issue is: Will other states follow? As we in the hybrid community know, the higher the price of gas, the more likely the change to more efficient transport. Still, there are those who must travel long distances in transport which barely makes it around the corner.

Chicago & NY have alternate transport. But for the mistaken many who moved long distances to gain - whatever. Well, it's a lot of loot.

And than, expectations are set.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by centrider
OK. Well, I see you're the expert on Tx. So the issue is: Will other states follow?
I'm not an Austin lobbyist, but a lifelong resident that is impacted by the laws passed there - "expert" is possibly a bit pejoritive.

As far as a trend goes, a state gas tax moritorium is a solution worse than the problem - it's something some MidWest states considered during or just before Katrina. No need to have posturing politicans make gas seem more plentful than it really is so we have a harder energy crash and budget shortfalls to boot.

Originally Posted by centrider
As we in the hybrid community know, the higher the price of gas, the more likely the change to more efficient transport. Still, there are those who must travel long distances in transport which barely makes it around the corner.

Chicago & NY have alternate transport. But for the mistaken many who moved long distances to gain - whatever. Well, it's a lot of loot.

And than, expectations are set.
The proposed Texas gas tax moritorium is against everything Texan preaching limited government advocate - do what you can before asking for government help. Again, I point a lot of speeding trucks in pre-rush hour traffic in the Dallas area...and do you think they are just barely powered enough to do their job?

It's pandering for votes.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I saw a sign today on a lot that read:

"HUGE CAR SALE"

They were selling Hummers.
True Story. I almost took a picture.

P.S. Colorado T.V. ads are saying:

"They said it couldn't be done. But yes, the new Hummer now gets 20 MPG."
Also true story.

Last edited by gpsman1; 05-10-2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Energy Independence

Many people need an EDUCATION about the lowered MPG of high-speed driving.
Ask around - you wouldn't believe the number that think the only downside to driving fast is a possible speeding ticket.
I think that an instant MPG gauge should be MANDATORY on ALL new vehicles sold. And it shouldn't be just an optional display. Put it right by the speedo - there's your (self) education.
I fly around faster than I should (too often), but at least I know the consequences.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Banned

Agreed gumby, but sometimes I suspect education only goes so far. It's a common Dilbert theme - people want to get away with breaking the rules of physics and common sense.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:59 AM

Well... I doubt a mandartory MPG gauge will do the trick... most cars come with this and it doesn't seem to make a difference in driving pattern.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Dazed and Confused

Yes but most cars have it burried in some other multi function display. It is also a digital readout on most cars too. An analog guage shows a relative change in a much easier way to understand.

So if most cars had a consumption guage like the one in my TCH, I think there would be more people trying to get better mileage.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:56 AM

Analog guage for mpg read out? It's all digital. Do you mean the digital bar sliding from one side to another? The presentation in other words?

Old 05-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Well... I doubt a mandartory MPG gauge will do the trick... most cars come with this and it doesn't seem to make a difference in driving pattern.
Before my family got its first hybrid (HCH '05) I've never seen an mpg gauge in my life (My family had only gotten fords and an '01 Odessey, no more fords again). I'm guessing "most" either applies to certain companies or maybe only high end cars?

Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by owlmaster08
Before my family got its first hybrid (HCH '05) I've never seen an mpg gauge in my life (My family had only gotten fords and an '01 Odessey, no more fords again). I'm guessing "most" either applies to certain companies or maybe only high end cars?
Well. I don't drive american so my view of the world is whole lot prettier.
But these feature are found on all types of car regardless of "class". In europe I remember seeing this gauge (analog at first, now they are digital) on most car as a kid. So it's not a new thing.

My Mini S has this gauge (has both instant and avg) and I do admit that when I play with it, I stive for better mpg but the car was not meant for FE... it was meant for FUN.

Quick Reply: $4 gasoline is coming

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands