Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

TCH First tank of gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default TCH First tank of gas

Hello everyone,

The Camry Hybrid that I just bought just received its 2nd tank of gas. I have been driving it daily to work (mon-fri) and averaging 43MPG. I am learning to get the most from the electric power. I noticed that the low-fuel indicator came on when the "cruising miles" were down to 28 and the meter was two ticks off "empty.". But when I went to fill up the tank only took 13.5 gallons of gas. The owner manual indicates a 17.1 gallon fuel tank. It looks like the computer lights the indicator at a certain fuel level regardless of how high your average miles per gallon usage is.

Anybody else notice the same thing?

Based on the first tank miles registering 595 miles and there apparently being another 3+ gallons of fuel- I could possibly hit 700+ miles on a tank driving very conservatively.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH First tank of gas

I had the same experience. Warning light came on at 560 miles, took 13.38 gals to fill. I think with 2 gals still in the tank I could get about 640 miles out of it.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

gas tank has 2-3 gallons left when the "cruising range" reaches zero.

It's to protect you and guard from running out of gas.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Selia, Vic, where are you both located? What is the avg. temperature there and are you using your A/C?

I can't seem to avg. better than 33 or 34 mpg or a best of 36.7, but I'm here in Houston where it's 97 F and I have to use my A/C all the time. I have a suspicion that the high heat here affects the TCH performance as much as using the A/C does.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

Gabe,

The A/C does affect the MPG very much. I leave the A/C off. When I did run the A/C my average MPG ran between 38-41.5. That was with 44 miles highway and 27 town roads each day. The ave temp outside has been between 80-84 degrees F. I use the windows and sun/moon roof for ventilation when possible - easy around here since it is much cooler outside as compared to Texas at this time of year.

Last two days with new tank of gas I have been running 45-47.2 MPG using glide techniques and the electric power up to 40-45MPH on fairly levels roads accelerating on inclines slowly and on declines aggressively.