Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Old Geezer from Canada.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Old Geezer from Canada.....

Hello all! My first post here. I joined this board tonight because I hope to learn a bit more about hybrid vehicles. I don't own a hybrid yet but hope that I can afford one when I trade my Honda in.

I found your board through Google. I typed in Electric Vehicles Canada and your site was the most interesting one listed.

I'm currently involved in a debate on an international board in regard to the Peak Oil debate that has been going on there for many months (years?). There is a very large faction that are determined to prove beyond any doubt that oil production has peaked and is on a downward spiral to no oil within 20 years or so and our whole civilization is therefore going to hell in a handbasket.

I'm in a much smaller faction that is saying "yeah, that is probably true, so what are we going to do about it so that life will go on?" That attitude isn't popular with the Gloom and Doom crowd but I'm always on the lookout for reasonable ways that we as individuals, can survive and thrive the impending oil crisis and I present the alternative solutions that I find in the debate there.

I believe that eventually our international oil economy will be replaced by an all-electric economy but it's a giant step and will more easily be accomplished in little steps in that direction. I see hybrid vehicles as a significant step toward that goal.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Contributor ($)

Welcome Timetrvlr,
Not sure how old of a "geezer" you are, but you'll be happy to know that are plenty of people 60+ who are hybrid owners.
My mother just bought one an she is 70 this year.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Site Founder

Welcome! If I'm not mistaken, the demographic for hybrids is first now shifting Southwards with the SUVs and performance cars.

Which Honda do you own?

Old 03-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast
Smile

Jason, my Honda is a 2001 CRV (SUV), not the best fuel economy (25 MPG Avg). We are in our late 60's and both have trouble getting down into and up out of conventional small cars, so we bought something that sits higher. It is an AWD, we need that for getting up out of our icy driveway in winter and I prefer the added security of AWD in slush and icy driving conditions, even with good winter snow tires.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV, but I suspect that it will be too expensive for us since we are on retirement pensions, unless we win a lottery of course. Are you aware of any other AWD Hybrids that might be a little less pricy?

Old 03-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Site Founder

No, not yet. What's your budget? I think I read the Highlander will be ~$32k

Old 04-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Welcome!

I've got this bad feeling that until supply evens out hybrid SUVs from anyone will be in the USD $32,000+ range for a while. If you want a hybrid SUV right now shoot for the Escape. I would not think twice about getting one. I come from a Ford family so I'm very excited about the FEH and believe that Ford will continue to improve their hybrid offerings. In general the members here seem very happy with their FEHs.

Last edited by Jason; 04-02-2005 at 10:38 AM.