Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New Prius owner in NW PA

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I live in NW PA and have had my 2004 Prius for about a month now. It took me less than a week to get it. I almost got one 3 years ago, but couldn't justify the extra cost when a new Prizm was supposed to get about the same mpg. Except that my new Prizm got worse mileage than my 9 yr old Prizm and it ate at me for 3 yrs that I should have gotten the Prius.

PA has a grant program for hybrid cars ($400 this year?), but you can't buy the car until you send in the grant application. They didn't open the latest grant round until the end of July and it took me a few weeks to get my application in. I was still hesitant about spending the money when I had a Prizm with only 37,000 miles on it. I mailed the application in on a Tuesday, waited until the saleslady I had talked with several months ago got back from vacation on Thursday and filled out the paperwork. She called on Monday to say that she had a car for me. I got the message on Tuesday, had my Prizm cleaned on Thursday and took it to Toyota get appraised. Picked up my new Prius on Friday. One week after I had gotten on the list.

I had fully expected to wait 4-5 months, but this one came in and the person who'd ordered it decided to wait for a 2005. No one ahead of me on the list wanted a black car, so it came to me. After owning it for almost 3 weeks I understand. Black seems to attract suicidal bugs that glow like a spotlight is shining on them.

Going by the Consumption readings, I seemed to be getting around 45 mpg and doing the math figured I should get gas by 500 miles. The tank was full when I picked it up and the first bar didn't come off of the gas gauge until I had 200 miles on it. I thought it was slow because it was new. There were 3 bars left when I got gas on Monday at 495 miles. But, doing the math I figured that had to be wrong. However, the fact that it only took 7.78 gallons (and I topped it off because it didn't think it could possibly be full yet) at 495 miles means that it did indeed have almost 1/3 of a tank remaining. I got over 63 mpg!

Sorry to be so long winded, but I think it is great to find a site with people who understand what I'm talking about and can answer my questions. Now can someone please tell me how to keep a black car clean?

Old 09-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by squeakjr@Sep 8th 2004 @ 5:48 PM
Now can someone please tell me how to keep a black car clean?
I feel your pain, mi amigo. I had a 1992 Q45 and a 1998 CR-V that were black (both times because that was the only color that had the options I wanted) and I never liked the cleaning aspect of that color.

When black cars are clean and shiny, there are few better looking colors, especially in late afternoon lighting, but MAN they are a pain to keep clean.

I would suggest getting a Zaino show car polish kit and keeping it Zainoed. You can get a quick detail solution and de-dust it every evening with a clean cotton towel, and Zaino makes for a very slick and smooth feel to the finish.

Congrats on the 63 mpg too !!!

Old 09-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Site Founder

Welcome to GreenHybrid. Looks like you're already the top Prius driver as far as fuel economy goes. Keep it up!