Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New Member, Virginia Beach, VA

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default New Member, Virginia Beach, VA

Hello all. New Member, checking to see if the MPG will be added to the bottom of my messages.

Should I use the MFD display, knowing its limitations or use calculated receipts?

I ask because my first tank mileage is off greater than the normal 2-4%. I don't think the dealer filled it all the way. The temperature is about the same as when I bought it (when I refilled it the first time) to possibly rule out tank expansion. I have a caculated 45.5 mpg on the first tank, but a 53.5 mpg on the MFD. I am at 61.0 mpg at 304 miles on the MFD on my second tank (I still have six pips left!).

Thank you all for posting information about your car. If the MPG does not display, will you please tell me how?

Chris

Old 07-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: New Member, Virginia Beach, VA

Welcome to the club!

Originally Posted by VaBeachPrius
Hello all. New Member, checking to see if the MPG will be added to the bottom of my messages.

Should I use the MFD display, knowing its limitations or use calculated receipts?
Personal choice. I use the pump values because that is what I pay. Others prefer the MFD display, which tends to give more consistent values. Head over to the Prius forum and our FAQ has some suggestions.

I ask because my first tank mileage is off greater than the normal 2-4%. I don't think the dealer filled it all the way. The temperature is about the same as when I bought it (when I refilled it the first time) to possibly rule out tank expansion. I have a caculated 45.5 mpg on the first tank, but a 53.5 mpg on the MFD. I am at 61.0 mpg at 304 miles on the MFD on my second tank (I still have six pips left!).

Thank you all for posting information about your car. If the MPG does not display, will you please tell me how?
I'd recommend the following steps:

1) Click on "User CP" and practice getting the 'signature' up. You can start with just a text message "Hello World" to make sure you feel comfortable with that part. Signature block changes become effective instantly.

2) Now "view" your car and scroll to the bottom. You'll see a URL:
http:\\www.greenhybrid.com\compare\mileage\car\<NU MBER>\signature.png
(I've used "\" instead of "/" to fool the parser.)

3) Use the "Insert image" to paste in that URL in your signature block. Then go back and check. You should see the mileage tag, which updates within an hour of making your last tank update.

4) Go back to the signature edit and use "Insert link" to tie the image with the web page. That makes clicking on the signature block open up the actual page (try it with mine.)

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 07-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, bobwilson4web.

I got both the mileage and the link to work.

As many have said, in time the calculated method will work itself out. I guess I am being to paranoid to worry about one tank "looking" artificially low.

There are way too many variables in this question, but I will ask it any way out of simply curiosity:

Background (Using MFD numbers): 1st tank 491 miles 53.5 mpg, 2nd tank so far, 304 miles 61.0 mpg. What are your thoughts on the increase in mpg I should see due to break-in alone? What about the mpg increase due to break-in and having the oil at 3/4 full? What about break-in, oil 3/4 full, and using synthetic at my 5000 mile oil change?

Temperature, payload, driving skill, traffic, and other envrionmental variables as constant as possible during the above questions.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Any luck with a recommended transmission oil? I guess I still have about 59800 miles to go before I should begin to worry about that.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: New Member, Virginia Beach, VA

Hi Chris,

Good job on the signature block.

Thanks, bobwilson4web.

I got both the mileage and the link to work.

As many have said, in time the calculated method will work itself out. I guess I am being to paranoid to worry about one tank "looking" artificially low.

There are way too many variables in this question, but I will ask it any way out of simply curiosity:

Background (Using MFD numbers): 1st tank 491 miles 53.5 mpg, 2nd tank so far, 304 miles 61.0 mpg. What are your thoughts on the increase in mpg I should see due to break-in alone? What about the mpg increase due to break-in and having the oil at 3/4 full? What about break-in, oil 3/4 full, and using synthetic at my 5000 mile oil change?

Temperature, payload, driving skill, traffic, and other envrionmental variables as constant as possible during the above questions.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Any luck with a recommended transmission oil? I guess I still have about 59800 miles to go before I should begin to worry about that.
Let me suggest we follow-up with a fresh thead over in the Prius forum. But I'll give you something to think about:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/

Post your questions in the Prius forum and we'll go into a lot more detail. But a couple of quick answers:

1) overfilled is bad - most folks see improvements, I did, after bringing the oil level down from over the "F" mark.
2) synthetics have a good reputation but we are trying to get folks to 'test their oil' so we can get some real metrics . . . not 'sounds good' noise.
3) you may want to change your transaxle oil sooner, rather than later BUT LET US FINISHED GETTING THE METRICS. My Amsoil data suggests in as little as 12-17,000 miles. I am planning to drain and retest my oil early, after 12,000 miles. I'm at 5,000 miles, which means I won't have numbers until late this year. Sad to say, I don't have any Type W, your model's oil, numbers for a while.

On other thing, I'm using pressure sensor valve caps, 40 psi, to monitor my tire pressure. Dealers and other service staff like to bring them down to 32 psi, which increases wear and reduces handling. With my pressure sensing caps, I've been able to monitor a slow-leak in my right rear tire without having to put a pressure gage on each tire weekly/monthly. At $12, they have been a blessing.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-25-2006, 06:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hey Chris, just wanted to say 'hi' to a neighbor. We almost purchased a Prius but the wife preferred the Camry hybrid, so that's what we got. The mileage you're posting is making me jealous. Actually, although I don't get Prius mileage I'm loving this car too.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you. I have seen your name on quite a few posts. You have been busy lately.

I had read and read on how to pulse and glide and then about halfway through this tank I finally understood what was going on. I am currently at 66.2 mpg after 562 miles on my second tank. I should be able to get close to 730 miles on this tank.

With so few tanks, by greenhybrid average will jump around for a while until things settle.

My wife is considering a hybrid camry. The Prius is just a little too small for her likings.

Where are you in Chesapeake? We are off of indian river road by stumpy lake.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 07-26-2006, 11:35 AM

Chris,

I'm in Great Bridge, off of Mount Pleasant Road. My wife and I own a furniture store in Great Bridge. We used to live in Salem Lakes, which isn't too far from you.

I actually first went looking for a Prius. Didn't even know the TCH was out yet. We test drove both. My wife didn't like the Prius very much, it was too small for her and the bar across the rear window bothered her. But she really liked the Camry. I probably overall preferred the Camry, but I felt if I'm going to buy a hybrid I may as well go for the best mileage I could, so I was leaning towards the Prius. Although my wife told me to get whichever I preferred I felt a happy wife was worth a lot more than an extra 10 mpg.

I haven't had much success with pulse and glide. I find that between 35 and 40 mph the car will regen or turn on the ICE. It's difficult keeping a steady speed in that range, let alone getting it to glide. I also don't know where you get the opportunity. This whole area is getting pretty congested. Sometimes after going through the toll booth on the bypass or on back roads I'll slow down enough to kill the ICE and then accelerate if someone comes up behind me.

Marc

Old 07-26-2006, 04:03 PM

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy the new hybrid- lots of luck!