Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New here w/ battery ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast
Question New here w/ battery ?

Hello, my mom and I recently traded in 2 gas guzzlers for a new '06 Prius with package #5. My mom had a town and country that got 24mpg and I had a dodge ram truck that got about 20mpg.

The prius has been wonderful and have gotten good mileage. We have one problem with the car though. We bought the car last weekend ans we have driven it everyday since and a couple times this week my mom has noticed that the car's battery will be at 2 bars when she gets in to come pick me up in the afternoon. The car usually has 1-3 bars below highest number of bars. She drives it to work and it sits in the parking lot all day approx. 8.5 hrs. The car is parked and off with no headlights on. Could it be getting drained by the heat?? Has been around 75-80 F everyday this week.

Please let me know if you have had this problem or what it might be.

thanks, chris.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: New here w/ battery ?

Originally Posted by Tang
Hello, my mom and I recently traded in 2 gas guzzlers for a new '06 Prius with package #5. My mom had a town and country that got 24mpg and I had a dodge ram truck that got about 20mpg.

The prius has been wonderful and have gotten good mileage. We have one problem with the car though. We bought the car last weekend ans we have driven it everyday since and a couple times this week my mom has noticed that the car's battery will be at 2 bars when she gets in to come pick me up in the afternoon. The car usually has 1-3 bars below highest number of bars. She drives it to work and it sits in the parking lot all day approx. 8.5 hrs. The car is parked and off with no headlights on. Could it be getting drained by the heat?? Has been around 75-80 F everyday this week.

Please let me know if you have had this problem or what it might be.

thanks, chris.
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the club. We have a Prius Forum with a lot of helpful folks.

To answer your question, the Prius indicators both for "State of Charge" (SOC) for the battery and the "Fuel Level" are not very precise and the behavior you described is normal. Our more technical Prius owners have bought OBD scanners to get 'engineering units' rather than the imprecise 'colored bars.'

A couple of suggestions: (1) put you car in the database and start tracking fill-ups, and (2) review the FAQ. Then wander over to the Prius forum if you have more questions. This is a fun car and you're in for a treat.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: New here w/ battery ?

Welcome to GH.

What he said.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Welcome to thee group.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Prius geek

Heat shouldn't cause ANY issues with the battery, at least not like you're describing. Excessive heat is bad for performance, meaning the battery won't be able to assist the gas engine much. The battery wants to be the same temp that you like. That's why the right rear seat (top, near door) is the air intake for cooling or heating the battery. It's taking cabin air to regulate the temp in the battery compartment.

Double check that the car is being powered off...NOT just engine off (very common when car is not in motion). Press power to shut down. Other than that, the car is smart and won't let the battery go too low or too high. This enables long life and that nice lengthy hybrid warranty.

Just drive it and the car takes care of itself. I'd say if your MPGs fall drastically or performace (accelleration) becomes REALLY slow and 'strained' then have the dealer check the car out.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast

It is definitly being shut off properly. I just didn't know.

thanks for the welcome.

chris.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Enthusiast

I would suggest checking the air intake for cooling or heating the battery located by the right rear seat. There is a comment in the owners manual addressing the vent. Hopefully, all is well.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Welcome to the forums!