Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New HCH owner checking in

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default New HCH owner checking in

Hi all;

Just wanted to say hi and start my initiation steps at this site.
I am the owner of a shiny new HCH and I can't wait to start posting my mileage. So far I am doing good but I am looking forward to improving beyond 50MPG. Any tips are appreciated

Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: New HCH owner checking in

Welcome to the CLUB!
Originally Posted by KevinsTop
Just wanted to say hi and start my initiation steps at this site.
I am the owner of a shiny new HCH and I can't wait to start posting my mileage. So far I am doing good but I am looking forward to improving beyond 50MPG. Any tips are appreciated
You are in for a treat. Check over in the Honda forums and you'll no doubt find a lot of good advices. This is one of the better, mixed hybrid sites on the net.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 05-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Energy Independence

Welcome! And excellent choice
Tips:
(1) Slow down.
(2) Read Tarabell's article. You can find links to it on this site. (Search is your friend.)
(3) Keep more distance between you and the vehicle in front of you than you've grown accustomed to. This way, you can use the brakes less.
(4) Drive as if your brakes aren't working too well. You'll find yourself doing #3 above, planning for red lights better, etc. Using less brakes means losing less momentum, and using less energy to get back up to speed. Acceleration and high-speed are real FE killers.
(5) Learn to "feather" the gas pedal.
(6) Slow down.
(7) Make SURE your tires are not under-inflated. Many here pump them up beyond 40 PSI.
(8) Watch the instant FE gauge to learn what works and what doesn't.
(9) Learn how to use the AC without it killing you MPG by not letting it get into "full-blast" mode (control the temp and fan speed somewhat manually, lowering the temp a time or to in order to get to a comfortable temp.
(10) Did I mention - slow down! Seriously, 55-65 MPH will net you 50+ MPG. 75 MPH will net you 45 MPG (or less).

Old 05-08-2008, 08:12 AM
iEnthusiast

Welcome welcome welcome! My baby HCHII just turned a week old on Saturday and I love it more every day!

Cant wait to get to know you in the community! Enjoy the new car!