Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Hello from Houston, Texas

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hello from Houston, Texas

Heh. I feel like a second class citizen here. I don't own a hybrid yet but am in the market for one (actually, two) and in the meantime I have been reading the discussions here with great interest.

Dave

Old 06-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hello from Houston, Texas

Originally Posted by greengiant
Heh. I feel like a second class citizen here. I don't own a hybrid yet but am in the market for one (actually, two) and in the meantime I have been reading the discussions here with great interest.

Dave
You're welcome here... besides, you're a Texan! Welcome to GreenHybrid!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Welcome. What kind are you looking at? Why are you looking to get one? I got my 1st 2.5 years ago and I just traded in for my 2nd HCH and I love(d) them both.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast

Hmm, glad you asked...

Well, I am in the market for two hybrids because I have two cars I support. One is for my wife and one for me. The family also needs one vehicle with significant carrying capacity to enable our dog related hobbies (my wife attends lots of dog shows with our five dogs and one toddler). I'm also reading extensively on future cars and developments in the state of the art concerning all of the hybrid technologies being developed or currently on the market.

First, let me describe my ideal hybrid. I would like a factory plug-in hybrid with either a flex fuel rated engine or a diesel. Since there are no factory plug-in hybrids nor flex fuel rated or diesel hybrids yet sold in the US, this is why I haven't bought a hybrid to date.

So, I'm waiting for certain options that will get me closest to my ideal hybrid, given any pre-announcements of future models as well as informed speculation I have been reading on the web.

At the moment, the only significant cargo carrier with decent projected gas mileage that I know of is Toyota's Estima Hybrid minivan, currently only sold in Japan. I have not heard of any plans to sell it in the US but I would expect Toyota to sell it here eventually. This means that the cargo carrier will likely be the second purchase as I will be waiting for the Estima or for an equivalent from another manufacturer.

The other can be a small to medium sized sedan. I am currently considering either the 2007 Toyota Camry, 2008 Toyota Prius, or 2007 Honda Accord or Civic. Subaru would also be a consideration if they make a hybrid of some kind in the next two years. I am waiting to get more concrete information on the 2008 Prius, as a projected gas mileage close to 90 mpg would be great. I'm also interested in seeing the impact of the new EPA mileage rating system due out in 2008 on all new car mileage estimates. So I will probably be waiting for the middle of 2007 before I make up my mind about which sedan to buy.

In the meantime, I'm also closely following all of the third party companies (such as the CalCars initiative) who are developing conversion kits to change factory hybrids to plug-in hybrids. Whatever hybrid I buy, I have to reasonably expect I can get a conversion kit for it at an effective price ($12,000 for the first kits is not practical but I think $6,000 would be, assuming they double the city gas mileage). Plug-in hybrids are an important requirement to me as I am also working on home changes with the goal to eventually provide solar PV electrical generation (once prices drop by about 50% of their current level for home PV systems) and I plan to be able to recharge at home with cheap, home generated electricity.

Such are my current plans. Right now we have a new 2006 Toyota Sienna van, so it will last us until Toyota brings the Estima to the US, or some other option becomes available. And I am driving a 1992 Isuzu Amigo that has 190,000 miles on it. If it lasts until the middle of 2007 I will count my blessings. If not, I will be forced to make an earlier choice. The good news is that I only drive it 20 miles a day, so it will probably last another year (hope springs eternal as they say).

Old 06-16-2006, 02:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greengiant
Hmm, glad you asked...

Well, I am in the market for two hybrids because I have two cars I support. One is for my wife and one for me. The family also needs one vehicle with significant carrying capacity to enable our dog related hobbies (my wife attends lots of dog shows with our five dogs and one toddler). I'm also reading extensively on future cars and developments in the state of the art concerning all of the hybrid technologies being developed or currently on the market.

First, let me describe my ideal hybrid. I would like a factory plug-in hybrid with either a flex fuel rated engine or a diesel. Since there are no factory plug-in hybrids nor flex fuel rated or diesel hybrids yet sold in the US, this is why I haven't bought a hybrid to date.

So, I'm waiting for certain options that will get me closest to my ideal hybrid, given any pre-announcements of future models as well as informed speculation I have been reading on the web.

At the moment, the only significant cargo carrier with decent projected gas mileage that I know of is Toyota's Estima Hybrid minivan, currently only sold in Japan. I have not heard of any plans to sell it in the US but I would expect Toyota to sell it here eventually. This means that the cargo carrier will likely be the second purchase as I will be waiting for the Estima or for an equivalent from another manufacturer.

The other can be a small to medium sized sedan. I am currently considering either the 2007 Toyota Camry, 2008 Toyota Prius, or 2007 Honda Accord or Civic. Subaru would also be a consideration if they make a hybrid of some kind in the next two years. I am waiting to get more concrete information on the 2008 Prius, as a projected gas mileage close to 90 mpg would be great. I'm also interested in seeing the impact of the new EPA mileage rating system due out in 2008 on all new car mileage estimates. So I will probably be waiting for the middle of 2007 before I make up my mind about which sedan to buy.

In the meantime, I'm also closely following all of the third party companies (such as the CalCars initiative) who are developing conversion kits to change factory hybrids to plug-in hybrids. Whatever hybrid I buy, I have to reasonably expect I can get a conversion kit for it at an effective price ($12,000 for the first kits is not practical but I think $6,000 would be, assuming they double the city gas mileage). Plug-in hybrids are an important requirement to me as I am also working on home changes with the goal to eventually provide solar PV electrical generation (once prices drop by about 50% of their current level for home PV systems) and I plan to be able to recharge at home with cheap, home generated electricity.

Such are my current plans. Right now we have a new 2006 Toyota Sienna van, so it will last us until Toyota brings the Estima to the US, or some other option becomes available. And I am driving a 1992 Isuzu Amigo that has 190,000 miles on it. If it lasts until the middle of 2007 I will count my blessings. If not, I will be forced to make an earlier choice. The good news is that I only drive it 20 miles a day, so it will probably last another year (hope springs eternal as they say).

Have you looked at Toyota Highland Hybrid?