Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

HCHII in Oklahoma City Area

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Hybrid Evangelist
Default HCHII in Oklahoma City Area

I am sort of new here, been following and posting for several days now. I replaced my 2001 Taurus (23-25MPG) with a 2008 Tafetta White HCHII without Navi. Several considerations drove the decision to buy a hybrid, one of course was the price of gas. But before you jump on me about being a Johnny-Come-Lately, I have been trying to cost justify replacing my Taurus ever since it was paid off and out of warranty. As the mileage climbed, so did the repair bills. Pretty much any time something went wrong it cost me $500-$800. After several necessary $$$ repairs (AC clutch, automatic cooling fans, Cam Synchronizer) coupled with the rising cost of fuel, the ROI started to get reasonable. I drive 33 miles round trip to work, 5 days a week. 95% of the work drive is freeway, or 50MPH state highway with limited traffic signals. A hybrid just made sense.

I looked at buying a Prius but didn't really like the look, none were available to test drive and they were more expensive by $4000+ to get the dsame Standard Amenities as the HCHII.

I'd like to find out how many forum members are in central Oklahoma and see if there are any planned mmet-ups.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: HCHII in Oklahoma City Area

Welcome to the CLUB!

You may want to head over to the HCH forums and pickup some of the maintenance and driving tricks. There is a long history of excellence over there.

BTW, I was born in Stillwater, grew up in Oklahoma City and two years in Atoka. How long have you lived in Oklahoma?

Bob Wilson

Old 06-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Welcome to the CLUB!

You may want to head over to the HCH forums and pickup some of the maintenance and driving tricks. There is a long history of excellence over there.

BTW, I was born in Stillwater, grew up in Oklahoma City and two years in Atoka. How long have you lived in Oklahoma?

Bob Wilson
Atoka! I got a big speeding ticket there (long ago). I've never liked that little town since.
Oh, welcome mdarmistead! This is a nice place to hang out and learn about our vehicles.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:03 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by gumby
Atoka! I got a big speeding ticket there (long ago). I've never liked that little town since. ...
That is how we remembered it. <grumble>

Bob Wilson

Old 06-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Hybrid Evangelist

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Welcome to the CLUB!

Bob Wilson
Hi Bob,

I've been here since 1993 when the Air Force, for whatever reason, sent me here instead of the far northwest part of the country. I was initially very disappointed, but after I had been here for a year or so I realized that this was probably the best thing the USAF had ever done for me. I retired from the AF in 1989 and stayed here. I now teach for OU as an instructor at the USPS training center in Norman.

I have already been to the HCH forums, as well as CleanMPG and have been experimenting with some of the techniques. I doubt that I'll take it to some of the extremes they do; however, I'm currently getting 51+ mpg, which is over double what my Taurus usually got!