Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Truth or Consequences

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Site Founder
Default Truth or Consequences

Imagine for a minute, just a minute, that someone running for president was able to actually tell the truth, the real truth, to the American people about what would be the best — I mean really the best — energy policy for the long-term economic health and security of our country. I realize this is a fantasy, but play along with me for a minute. What would this mythical, totally imaginary, truth-telling candidate say?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/op...hp&oref=slogin

Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Truth or Consequences

Thing that Friedman gets massively wrong in this article is that there was a candidate who told the truth to the American people once, even when they didn't want to hear it or listen. His name was Jimmy Carter, and if people would've listened to him back then, we wouldn't be heading for the precipice we're heading toward now.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Truth or Consequences

A completely honest politician would say the country must break with its past of oil dependance. No one technology holds the key; rather multiple technologies will play a part. Electricity would be generated by modern, clean burning coal power plants as well as nuclear and natural gas-fired plants. Solar, wind & sea turbines will play a part as non-polluting renewable energy sources. Automotive hybrid technology, both gas and diesel will reduce the demand for motor fuels. Clean diesels would be able to burn biofuels, and gov't subsidized ethanol would fade into history.