Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Toyota raises price of 2007 Prius hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Site Founder
Default Toyota raises price of 2007 Prius hybrid

Toyota Motor Corp., the world's largest seller of gasoline-electric autos, raised the starting price of the Prius hybrid car 2.1 percent for the 2007 model and will add a new version to help boost sales.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/techno...i-business-hed

Old 08-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota raises price of 2007 Prius hybrid

2.1% increase is not that bad, especially for a car where demand exceeds supply. However, I'm not sure how many people looking for a Prius will be enticed by larger wheels and a firmer suspension.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast

Do your wallet a favor - buy a Civic!

Old 08-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

>>>However, I'm not sure how many people looking for a Prius will be enticed by larger wheels and a firmer suspension<<<

I would. I own a Prius now for about 6 weeks. When I first test drove it, I told the sales rep it drove like a minivan. I still feel that way. And maybe they will replace those Goodyear tires with Michelin's too.

Bill
Mt. Pleasant, SC
(former Jetta owner {and minivan owner)...

Old 08-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guiffb
>>>However, I'm not sure how many people looking for a Prius will be enticed by larger wheels and a firmer suspension<<<

I would. I own a Prius now for about 6 weeks. When I first test drove it, I told the sales rep it drove like a minivan. I still feel that way. And maybe they will replace those Goodyear tires with Michelin's too.

Bill
Mt. Pleasant, SC
(former Jetta owner {and minivan owner)...
I meant to say "how many people looking for a Prius will be enticed by larger wheels and a firmer suspension, aside from Bill".

I'm also curious as to whether it will make much difference or just be a marketing ploy. I test drove the Camry SE and did not notice much, if any, difference between that one and an LE.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast

Given demand, Toyota could have taken 3X the price increase. I'm glad they didn't! They are building share and obviously are making enough overall.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I couldn't fit what I need to carry in a civic. Not close to as much room. I'd pay a lot more for my next Prius now that I know how it is to drive.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:39 AM
Enthusiast

The larger wheels and stiffer suspension will help, during my extended test drive I thought I was floating and buffeted too much by the wind. (Probably due to driving an RX-8 at the time)

My real complaint about the Prius thought was the driving ergonomics which are still very antiquated for such a high tech vehicle. The driving ergonomics, along with a ~$4000 price difference in the navigation models was the main reason I went with the Civic Hybrid.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

I am definitly one who will buy a 2007 due to the larger wheels and new suspension. I have a 2006 with 20k miles on it after 2 months and hate the minivan handling. Bet new one is not much better but still something. Altho I came from a Subaru WRX. I thin kthey could of done better with even larger wheels tho a lot of people I talk to who don't want one boils down to either price or looks even tho they have admited since I got mine the looks grows on you when you actually see it.

The added airbags will help but odd they didn't leave a low pkg prius to claim a lower base price. There are a lot of things they could cut out to lower the price jsut below $20k I think and that would really kill all other hybrids altho as we all know they really don't need to do anything to increase sales. I'm mixed like to see price go down to get new one as well as increase prius ownership around, but like to see it stay up to retain my prius's value.