Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Mad market for used fuel-sippers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 07:41 AM
Site Founder
Default Mad market for used fuel-sippers

In an atmosphere of high fuel prices, the market for used cars with high fuel mileage has gotten red hot…
For example, a 2005 Toyota Prius that, when new, had a sticker price of $21,515 could now sell for $25,970, even with 20,000 miles on the odometer, according to data from Kelley Blue Book. Since Toyota dealers usually charge a few thousand dollars over sticker for new Priuses, the buyer in this example probably wouldn't have made a profit, but nearly so.

Honda Civic Hybrids are also sporting near-immovable resale values.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/17/Auto...n=money_latest

Old 05-21-2006, 08:10 AM
no more oil
Default Re: Mad market for used fuel-sippers

nice
its good to hear that we bought some cars that might hold some resale value.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:32 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

Resale values are good, but not as good as KBB says. KBB is usually waaaay high. Check used 2002-05 HCH's on Ebay-I don't think there is a 2004 bid above $17500. I haven't seen any above MSRP bids on used Prius.
Why would there be, almost everyone here-recent buys-paid about MSRP for the Prius. Why would anyone pay that for a used one, and throw the $3150 away? Are we that much more adept at buying hybrids than the general public?We get MSRP,but "they" pay more?I doubt it.
Resales are great, but used Prius don't sell for MSRP. Check the "what did you pay for your Prius thread".Almost every new one went at MSRP, or a tiny bit less.Luck,Charlie
One buyer was castigated for paying just $2000 under MSRP for a used Prius.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

The used market in the DC metro area is sick! I saw a used hch 5 speed on the dealer lot for $21995.00 I think my HCH CVT was under 19 grand out the door brand new. I know it is difficult to get a hybrid out here, but I don't know if it is that difficult.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

Maybe in markets like DC the prices are out of control, but they are more reasonable on sites like Carmax. There, I've seen Priuses ('04 and later) starting at $22K with 19K miles on them. HCH are cheaper still.

Aneil

Old 05-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I find the high resale prices reassuring. To think that, to someone, my hybrid is currently worth more than I paid for it (in fact, going by the Blue Book SRV, it would be more than $2k more than I paid, including tax, title, license and fees) is a nice feeling, even if I never have to turn it into a concrete bid that someone would specifically pay to me, since I plan to drive this car into the ground. Resale prices only affect me to the extent that I might try to get friends to buy hybrids, and I need to keep an eye out to see if there might be attractive bargains for their sakes. Otherwise I think high resale is a happy thought.