Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Lexus LF-Sh Concept

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Site Founder
Default Lexus LF-Sh Concept

Since the LF-Sh concept has a V-8 hybrid powertrain, and since Toyota is introducing a hybrid version of the GS, called the GS450h, next spring, it's logical to expect a hybrid version of the LS as well, which likely will be called the LS600h. Toyota's hybrid efforts are now following two paths: Toyota hybrid vehicles will emphasize efficiency and fuel economy, while Lexus hybrids will concentrate more on performance than on ultimate fuel efficiency. All Lexus hybrid vehicles will become the top trim levels within their respective lineups. The LS600h, then, likely could rival competitors' twelve-cylinder models in performance while still being green enough to make its owners think they're not contributing to global warming.
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...0511_lexus_ls/

Old 08-10-2006, 07:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lexus LF-Sh Concept

If buyers of these Lexus hybrids would have gotten something with worse mpg/emissions then I'm all for them. But if they would have just purchased a V-8 Lexus then I'm not all that impressed

Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lexus LF-Sh Concept

Originally Posted by Orcrone
If buyers of these Lexus hybrids would have gotten something with worse mpg/emissions then I'm all for them. But if they would have just purchased a V-8 Lexus then I'm not all that impressed
I understand your perspective, but that's like saying you're not impressed if Lexus offers a 6-cylinder and an 8-cylinder option; you'd only be impressed if the buyer who buys the 6 "would have" bought an 8, otherwise.

The hybrid is simply another engine choice. You can't hope to read people's minds about what they might have bought. Offering the hybrid choice is better than not offering it, in my book.

I think it is very unlikely that we are going to live in a world where the government tells us "you must get X mpg" Therefore, if we can give people choices, we can hope they make the right choice. But hoping is really all that we can do.

and even if a buyer buys a hybrid that only gets 20 mpg, if he is getting out of a vehicle that is getting 15 mpg, how is that not a good thing?

We need to focus on incremental improvement, because it is highly unlikely that we are going to have any paradigm shifts.