Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

How big is the hybrid market? It depends whom you ask

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Site Founder
Default How big is the hybrid market? It depends whom you ask

Long-term customer demand for hybrids is difficult to predict.

Estimates of annual U.S. hybrid sales in 2010 run from a conservative 535,000 by J.D. Power and Associates to 3.5 million in a Booz Allen Hamilton forecast.

In 2004, the U.S. market totaled 16.9 million vehicles.

J.D. Power's forecast assumes a $4,000 premium for a hybrid vehicle. The Booz Allen Hamilton forecast assumes price parity when hybrids achieve high volumes and economies of scale.

Another confusing factor: Both projections include so-called "mild" hybrids, which use a device that merely stops the engine when the vehicle stops. In true hybrids, electric motors provide propulsion.
- http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102021

It appears the author is mislead about what a mild hybrid is. Honda's IMA system is mild, yet the motor does provide propulsion. There are three types of hybrids: full, mild and another that I don't believe has been given a name. The current pickups fall under this third category that is what the author thought was a "mild" hybrid.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

$4K is a little bit high I think.

However, I think that there needs to be an economy hybrid released soon to get some market space. A lot of people want a car for 15K.