Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Honda to Cut Civic Hybrid Costs by 1/3

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 06:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Honda to Cut Civic Hybrid Costs by 1/3

PHASING OUT gasoline-only models in place of Hybrids - what a NOVEL and WONDERFUL IDEA !!!

Thanks Honda !!!
Honda Motor Co., the world's second- largest maker of gas-electric cars, said it will cut the excess cost of so-called hybrid system on the Civic by a third within 5 years, as it phases out the gasoline-powered version in some markets including Japan.

The additional cost of using a hybrid system to run Honda's Civic compact car will fall by a third to 200,000 yen ($1,702) each, as development costs are halved, President Takeo Fukui said today. The Civic Hybrid, with a four-month waiting list in Japan, is priced at between 2.2 million and 2.4 million yen.

Honda is relying on hybrid versions of the Civic and Accord, its two best-selling models, to compete with Toyota Motor Corp.'s Prius as record gasoline prices spur demand for vehicles that burn less fuel. Tokyo-based Honda may put diesel engines in light trucks in North America, where it sells about 49 percent of its vehicles, Fukui said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...f5w&refer=asia

Last edited by Jason; 12-22-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:42 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda to cut Civic Hybrid costs by 1/3

Very cool! Sounds like Honda and Toyota are trying to go toe-to-toe in the battle for hybrid leader. Good for all of us!

Old 12-22-2005, 06:45 AM
Brains of the Operation

Wow. That really would make the Civic a Prius competitor - a hybrid-only setup. If they pulled that in the US, sales of the Civic Hybrid would shoot up, but overall sales of the Civic would completely tank. America does not share the same mentality as Japan's car buying public. We also don't share their overwhelmingly-urban driving schedule (though of course, that's where the Prius really shines anyway).

Old 12-22-2005, 06:48 AM

No, they sell too many Civics in the USA to take away the gas-only version there.

But "lowering the price" of the hybrids will be a positive move regardless !!!

Old 12-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lars-ss
No, they sell too many Civics in the USA to take away the gas-only version there.

But "lowering the price" of the hybrids will be a positive move regardless !!!
That's true, Honda Corp. USA sells too many normal gas version Civic's to lose that line. Not only that too many people in the US are "not ready" for hybrid vehicles and are not ready to accept the need for change. However, over the next few years more and more people will see the benefits of a hybrid vehicle and be ready to buy. With lower prices, people who might be on the fence might be enticed to buy. Also, with the combination of lower prices and more advanced technology could make a HCH gen III rise to the top for all around FE, emissions and versatility.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:43 AM

It is all about petrol prices and emissions regulations.

Once a person is paying around $200/month just for petrol, FE becomes a leading consideration in which car to buy and drive.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thats right...I forgot to add that. Sadly, more people who change to driving hybrid's will be more concerned with the short run costs of fuel and fuel economy rather than the long run savings from less GHG's.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

But, in the end, does it really matter what brings new drivers to the hybrid table? My Dodge Ram Diesel was costing me $100/wk to go to work and back. Now, it's more like $100/mo with my HCHII. When I was driving the truck, I could not have cared less about the noxious emissions coming out the back, but since having the HCH, I recognize that aspect of the change, too, and am rather proud of myself.

So, count me in as one who got the hybrid because of the money, but is proud to be having less of a negative impact on the environment.

Thanks,

Don

Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Banned

Makes you wonder if the first hybrid built in America will be a Civic (the hybrid components of the Ford Escape are built by Volvo).

In the next few years, the performance aspect of hybrids could be improved (more cylinder deactivation, moving away from steel frames...)

Old 12-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I read two things into this statement...I know one will be true, and I hope the other comes to pass...

- HHS ('Honda Hybrid System', or what they used to term IMA), is a long-term player, and HMC will not abandon it, no matter what 'Yota does down the road, or how many HSD cars it sells compared to HMC.

- HHS / IMA must / will eventually provide motive power from rest, without using the ICE. (yes, I know it contradicts statement #1, to a point). This is the part I'm hoping for.

4 month waiting list in JP...and here, we only need to wait about 6 weeks. What does that say ? Anyone ?

Quick Reply: Honda to Cut Civic Hybrid Costs by 1/3

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands