Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

GM hasn't made hybrid it touted

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Site Founder
Default GM hasn't made hybrid it touted

General Motors Corp. seized the world’s attention in January when it unveiled plans to build the Chevrolet Volt – a plug-in hybrid car touted not so much as a mode of transportation but as part of a solution to the nation’s energy crisis.
The Volt grabbed headlines, lit up online chat boards and dominated the buzz at the auto show in Detroit.
There’s just one problem: The Volt may never get built.
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...303260003/1001

Old 03-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GM hasn't made hybrid it touted

if you saw or read about this car and actually thought GM would produce it then you are very naive indeed. Given their history with this type of product and efforts to kill anything not internal combustion including mass transit it would be astonishing if they actually moved anywhere near this direction.

GM attempts to stifel emerging technology in order to keep their current technology viable even in the face of a very obviously more economical, better performing, lower maintenance product.

please read the book "Internal Combustion"

Old 04-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

And Bob Lutz could care less about CO2 emissions and has said so, in response the the Supreme Court ruling that the EPA has the authority to act on CO2 emissions from cars and trucks.

If Bob Lutz could care less about CO2, then is it any surprise GM has no hybrids that amount to anything?

The Volt is a red herring.

Harry

Old 04-09-2007, 05:39 PM
no more oil

When this was first reported -this was exactly what I said.

These guys have NO intention of actually building any of these things. The press releases and everything else are all slanted towards 'could be' and 'almost' and a whole pile of other crap. It was to no doubt try to raise their market share.

Honda or Toyota will no doubt build the next full EV or plug in hybrid.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What buzz... I don't remember anything about the Volt. So it can't be that hyped... and who chats up anything GM makes?

Old 04-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

While I agree that GM has stuck it's head in the sand more than once, maybe, just maybe, they are really going to make a positive move with the Volt. I hope so actually. US auto tech could use some positive and actual news.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast

I think they'll make it if they can get the cost of the battery pack down to a viable level. Big question, though.

I don't think conspriracy has anything to do with it.

Executive priorities do, though. GM would have had hybrids out years earlier if the Vice Chairman back in the 1990s, Harry, Pearce, a huge proponent of hybrids, hadn't been sidelined by leukemia. Back then, there were plans to have a range of hybrids starting with the 2003 model year. But he was sidelined, and hybrids got pushed to the back burner.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Prius geek

Who Killed The Electric Car--see it and you'll know the conspiracy. Read ALL the ZEV mandate BS from CARB on evnut.com or ANY of the EV1.org blogs. The data, the info is there for any who want to start a revolutionary change in electric drive for transportation. C'mon, FOUR times more efficient than fuel cells, can be cleanly produced. Gasoline will always be bad for the environment...always. I'll stop there. read the above links and make your decisions...