2010 Honda Insight Review article

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 04:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Honda Insight Review article

I went shopping when the Tpyota dealers were still selling 2009 models. The 2010's were due in two weeks.
The wonderful Toyota rep told me that the 09's were sticker price, that the 10's would be higher and that I should be greatful to spend over sticker to get a 10. I got a great deal on the Honda at Valley Honda in Illinois. Pat Malik, the sales rep was knowledgable, friendly and reasonable.
Now it seems that Toyota dealers are somewhat willing to negotiate prices.
Maybe the competition from the Insight has made Toyota dealers rethink their arrogance.
I LIKE my insight. It has a very sporty ride. Try one.

Last edited by MrEWorm; 12-12-2009 at 04:59 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alpineavenue
Yes, in town driving=city driving, just my South Dakota vernacular. My drive times are 4-5 miles, about 10-15 minutes in length. I do use the ECON assist button full time, accelerate and decelerate slowly and anticipate all lights as well.

My biggest disappointment, like I stated earlier is that my 11 year old Civic consistently averaged 28 mpg in this same drive time-trip length above while my brand new Hybrid Insight achieves only 9 more mpg.

By the way, here is the eye candy I have been referring to. The mpg visual graph leads you me believe that I average 39.7 from full tank to empty tank. Once you manually calculate 9.342 gallons used for 340.8 miles traveled you get 36.48 mpg, not 39.7. The horizontal bars show average of 100 mpg at one point and 75 mpg shortly after...
My commute in Atlanta is very similar to your commute. About 7 miles on city streets with speed limits from 35 to 45. Many red lights. I drive with ECON on and use cruise as much as possible in this stop and go environment. During summer, I was averaging about 43 according to the display. During our "not so cold" winter here, I have seen that drop to 39 to 40. I have the tire pressure at 35 psi.

Disappointed? A little. A little more research on my part would have steered me away from the Insight and to the Prius. But I did get a great deal on the Insight, well below MSRP while a similar Prius was selling at MSRP. I do like the car and know that if my commute were different I would see the 48 to 50 MPG that others on this board see. I will just have to settle for what I get. BTW, my 2001 Honda Civic was getting about 28 MPG on this same commute before I traded it for the Insight.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

Holy cow! You're driving in 6-degree weather? No wonder your mileage sucks. Super-cold temperature really saps the life out of rechargeable batteries. You're probably not getting a whole lot of boost from the IMA. The 37 MPG is probably what the 1.3L engine actually gets without assist.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Enthusiast

In warm weather I average 49 MPG. For the winter it's about 44. The cold certainly does zap the fuel economy.
The mantra: minimize breaking, accelerate slowly, anticipate traffic, decelerate slowly, cruise control, obey speed limits, drive in the right lane, smile

Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Post Re: 2010 Honda Insight Review article

Originally Posted by mac1520
The Insight was the number one selling car in Japan, maybe they know something we don’t…
Originally Posted by cwerdna
The Prius took that crown and has been holding it for 6 months in a row so far.
To followup, the Prius is Japan's selling car for 11 months in a row now per http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota...&asset=&ccode=.

Someone else posted the top selling cars in Japan at http://www.jada.or.jp/contents/data/ranking/index.php. Since I can't read Japanese, Babelfish's horrible translation at http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate seems to show the Insight has fallen to 25th place for March 2010 in Japan.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

That is interesting with Toyota's current situation, but to each his/her own. Even if they put them side-by-side and offered me a chance to pick a car for free, I'd still take the Insight without hesitation. I've been driving mine since July and haven't had a problem or regret since. I could care less who has the most sales or where they rank. Let Toyota have it, they need it with all the corporate nightmares they are dealing with. I got rid of my RAV4 just in time and will never buy another Toyota as long as I live. I did see a Prius on the road the other day with a great bumper sticker though, "Live Dangerously... Drive a Toyota!" I almost had to pull over I was laughing so hard...

Old 05-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mac1520
All your points are duly noted, but the data in the articles that you highlight are dated and inaccurate. The sticker fuel rating is based on the ECO system being turned off. With the ECO system engaged, I average 50 mpg without even trying. Now, there are always those folks out there on “You Tube” that are obsessed to prove they’ve got as much as 64 mpg, but driving the car slow with the windows and A/C off (and all accessories for that matter) is a bit over the top for me. I like to drive the car… well… like a car.
The truth in the matter is we are splitting hairs with the two big automotive giants. To me, it boils down to what your personal preferences are. Prius is definitely not my style and although it has a bigger engine (would love to compare carbon emissions sometime) and more rear passenger headroom, the Insight better suits my needs and personality. I may be old fashioned, but I like my instrumentation in front of me… Not centered in the dashboard. The Insight doesn’t set any speed records in reaching 60 mph with its 1.3 engine, but it gets there 2 seconds slower than the Prius… Wow, I’m losing sleep over that one! The object in a hybrid should be about economy in all aspects. Typical car magazines compare vehicles based on which one is bigger and faster… all the wrong reasons in my book. If I want to Mustang and Corvette, go for it. Hybrids should be based on fuel consumption and environmental impact… Bigger is not usually better in that category.
Americans are slow to try something new and unknown… Honda understands that, and hasn’t really advertised the Insight much. We need time to figure things out and see what the” JONES” are doing. If it's trendy and cool, we might jump right in!
The Insight was the number one selling car in Japan, maybe they know something we don’t… Also another indicator that life in Toyota- land seems to be anything but their “tellytubby” Prius commercials. The CEO just took a 30% pay cut….
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/25/new-toyota-ceo-takes-30-pay-cut-sees-no-recovery-for-two-years/
Hmmm, where there’s smoke... I turned in the wife’s 2008 RAV4 last week for a CRV… Another top pick from CR… That reminds me, I need to renew my subscription.
If you check out the latest edition of Consumer Reports you might surprise yourself with the hybrid reliability results… Although Toyota remains a close second, I believe in time you’ll see them fall back as Honda pulls ahead. I know… I know… More wishful thinking, but if I’m correct I’d hurry now to get a good trade for your Toyota. Mr. Opportunity won’t be knocking for long…

Old 05-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast

Very well stated.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenHybrid Editors
Hi guys,

Honda and Toyota seem to battle for every corner of the popular automotive market. So, of course Honda needs a stronger showing in the hybrid market than the Civic Hybrid. Cool things nowadays seem to be leaning retro: movies, clothes, cars, etc. So, it seems to make sense that Honda bring the Insight with a vengeance.

It has cool features: fair torque in a lightweight body, good highway mpg, and a six speaker system in the EX. Most alluring of all, thousands less than the Prius. What are your opinions? Considering it? Do you think the Insight can compete with the Prius? Does the so-called cheap interior turn you off? Already have one, how do you like it?

gkdutch

If you missed the quick read, find it here: https://www.greenhybrid.com/hybrid-c...nd-pricing.php

Thanks!
Have had the new 2010 Insight w/nav for three months now. It has 2324 miles on it, and about 1600 of those were from a trip. I use air 100% of the time living in Florida and try to use the proper start and stop as recommended for best gas mileage. On I95N it averaged 49.7mpg going up and coming back it averaged 51.3. The highest it got was 53.7 on one leg of the trip. Some mountains were encountered up and back and the Insight took them in stride. I also use cruise control just about !00% of the time and max. cruising speed is 60 mph. Keeping in mind the use of air and crusie 100% of the time I guess 51.3 mpg is not to awful bad. Lifetime mpg is 46.6.

One other thing I would like to mention and that is that the Insight proved to be very comfortable on the 1800 mile trip. The back seat is not for big people, but then we seldom if ever have people riding in the back.

Over all I couldn't be happier with the Insight. Everything works great, but I don't know if I'll live long enough to learn all of the voice commands for the GPS, Bluetooth, audio, climate control and what ever else that can be controlled by voice.

I had the dealer install leather, factory rubber mats, door edge film and rear bumper protector. Being a new and highly computerized automobile I also went for the 8 year 100,000 mile extended warranty. I installed a wireless backup camera after getting the car. That was the only downer I had with Honda, why they would produce a navigation system without a backup camera. Its certainly not because you did not pay enough for the unit.

Several visits were made to the Toyota dealership, during the "making up the mind stage", but the price became prohibited when comparing the Prius with all of the extras I was getting on the Insight.

I am an ex Ford Motor Company Representative as well as an ex Ford Dealer and I selected the Insight because it provided the best value and mpg for the dollar in today's market.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Witch w/ sense of humor

I've now owned my Insight LX for six months. I love the car! I give it a solid "B+". I got it for $17.5K, which made it only slightly more expensive than a Honda Fit. The fuel economy is much better than advertised. I averaged 55.9 MPH over a 606-mile one-day drive (yeah, that was a long drive).

I am not particularly bothered about the cheap interior. It's pretty similar to the Fit (upon which the car is based). I am very happy with the tight, responsive handeling. The acceleration is acceptable in "green" mode and quite brisk in "blue" mode. I don't really have any major complaints.

Quick Reply: 2010 Honda Insight Review article

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands