2010 Honda Insight

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Honda Insight

Originally Posted by arbittan
using the ICE to power the car is completely awesome. I am able to have the car sustain no gas power longer and with little effort.
Excuse me but if you are using the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) to power the car than isn't it running off of gas power I believe you meant the IMA (Integrated Motor Assist).

Old 06-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScorpD
Excuse me but if you are using the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) to power the car than isn't it running off of gas power I believe you meant the IMA (Integrated Motor Assist).
Is it possible to drive with just using the IMA? It seems that the gas engine has to run to keep the IMA battery full.
I have been using the cruise control to maximize fuel economy and been paying attention to the green'blue halo on the speedometer.

So far I am getting 49.5 MPG (actual calculation, not the onboard computer estimate) for combined driving in the Chicago area.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScorpD

I corrected the term (word) used. Thanks

Old 06-02-2009, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by MrEWorm
Is it possible to drive with just using the IMA? It seems that the gas engine has to run to keep the IMA battery full.
I have been using the cruise control to maximize fuel economy and been paying attention to the green'blue halo on the speedometer.

So far I am getting 49.5 MPG (actual calculation, not the onboard computer estimate) for combined driving in the Chicago area.

As long as you have a battery conditioned to more than half charge, the system will alternate between gas and electric assist. If you equalize the assist and charge in the middle (BTW much easier on the Insight then the Civic) it will basically shut off gas to the combustion engine (doesn't turn it off like when you are at a stop light) so you are not burning any gas in this mode.

I have achieved 52.9 miles per gallon so far this week.

One thing Honda has done with this car that I noticed when compared to the Civic version is the battery charges faster and seems to last longer even though it is a small (less powerfull) battery than what is installed in the Civic.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast

It is possible for the Insight to run solely on the IMA only under certain conditions. I have noticed this when cruising at a steady speed around 30mph for short distances. The tell tale signs are, the mpg gauge is pegged at 100 and the battery gauge is showing assist.

My last two runs into work in the morning (30 miles mixed driving with 70 degree weather) have read 59.7 and 59.0 according to the mid. Definitely starting to get the hang of it.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:19 AM

I have noticed over the past two days that when using the AC it does not stay cool when the engine is on Auto-Stop. Once the engine is "off" it contines to blow warm air. I assume this is due to the lack of an electrical based AC unit like in the Civic Hybrid. Unfortunately that "really blows" (no pun intended).

Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

Am considering an LX (can't afford the EX). Whaddya think the differences are?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Actually, am considering new Insight LX vs 08 Prius (28,000 miles, package 2). Used Prius would cost me $3500 less. ($16,000 vs. $19,500).

Appreciate any opinions! Gotta buy soon.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: 2010 Honda Insight

I suggest you go to insightcentral and post there. You'll get a lot more feedback, often from drivers who have now owned both cars you're interested in comparing. Most there will say that the Insight is significantly more fun to drive than the Prius and much more comfortable.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Steve

Quick Reply: 2010 Honda Insight

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands