Offers on car with current petrol situation

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:33 AM
100% Committed
Default Offers on car with current petrol situation

I guess we can see the writing on the wall with the current petrol situation and the rising prices.

Today alone, I've had 6 people asking about my Insight (where to buy, how much, how soon) and 2 people have actually offered to buy my car.

Now, more than ever since purchase, do I really appreciate the value of my car and will be keeping a close eye on it.

Yesterday, my wife had an offer for her Prius while she was at the grocery store.

If gas prices come down tomorrow, people will forget all about it...we tend to have short term memories...

- God Bless New Orleans

Old 09-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Offers on car with current petrol situation

I traded in my 4x4 F150 truck a little over two months ago and picked up a HCH. I couldn't have timed it much better... both because I'm saving over $120 a month in gas now (with $2.75 as the price of gas... not counting what it is now and will be soon)... but also because it is getting harder and harder to sell a truck and the price dealerships are offering on tradeins is plummeting. If we really do hit $4... I wouldn't be able to get rid of the truck at all.

The writing was on the wall and I kept telling people I work with they should consider doing the same. Don't wait for a disaster to change... plan ahead. Alas, I was alone... as was I alone in filling up my tank while the hurricane was active instead of waiting for the following panic over the next few days.

Oh well... we can all keep trying to spread the word... but unfortunately most people will have missed out on the sweet spot to transition.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast

I had an '01 for sale for about a month. Started getting a lot more calls on it during the last 2 weeks and was able to get very close to the asking price yesterday. Buyer said he thought he was lucky to find and buy one, given the market. This was the only car that I've owned that I sold for more than I purchased it for after driving it for 12,000 miles! Sorry to see it go, but I can't justify having 2 Insights.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It's selflessly great to see the purchase of our hybrids paying off by other people's interest. Whatever small part we can play in others' interest in: oil, efficiency, driving ettiquette, environmental awareness, etc. is something special.

It's selfishly great to realize, "hahaha" I beat the rush to the trend and now everyone else is trying to catch up. Yes I feel guilty for feeling this, but when you sell an '01 Insight for more than sticker like a few people on GH have, come on and gloat a little.

Old 09-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast

In July '05 my driving habits changed from driving 420 miles/month to 1,200-1,400 miles/month. That pushed me to go hybrid-shopping. I purchased a Honda Insight CVT (2002 w/39k miles) for $11,100 before gas prices sky-rocketed. That same car is now selling for $15-16,000---if you can find one. It's a much smaller car than I've been used to, but at the price of gas I consider myself very fortunate to have hybridized "just in the nick of time".

Old 09-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Enthusiast

I live in Denver and own a Ford Escape Hybrid. I get very nearly 35 MPG with an AWD. I just had to learn how to drive it. In any case, I have had an offer to buy it for as much as $40,000. I'm keeping it.

I work in oil/gas/energy and I will tell you this. The days of $2.00 a gallon gas are over. The speculators have seen to that. I can see gas leveling off at about $2.75. Why? The American people didn't revolt over $3.00 a gallon. The oil companies and speculators noticed. I was paying about $0.95 in 2001 for premium.

I should add that I need an SUV sized car. But for those of you who don't, or even me if I didn't, I'd get a smaller car. A 60 MPG car would be great and it only cost a case of beer 4 times a year to have a friend haul the big stuff.

Last edited by ggoede1; 09-04-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast

Wise words from our Denver member. What I forgot to mention is that I live in Arizona and couldn't find an Insight for sale here. I purchased mine in California, located 15 minutes from where family lives, paying a local Honda Dealer to go through it and having my wonderful Father conclude the sale for me, just "in the nick of time". Checking the local newspapers there, there isn't a used Insight or Prius to be found in the classifieds. Did find 2004 Civic Hybrid though, priced $5,000 more than a new 2005 (non-hybrid) Civic. Whether by luck or smarts, if you have a hybrid now, hang on to it, but you should keep it 'clubbed' (anti-theft devices) if you want to keep it!

Old 09-07-2005, 07:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ricco has a point. If some people are offering to buy our hybrids, others are planning to steal them. If gas goes any higher from here, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see hybrids move to the top of the "most stolen" list, especially as the resale value of gas-guzzlers dives toward zero. Fortunately the HCH has an excellent anti-theft system built in (I like engineers who think ahead!).

Old 09-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anti-Theft Devices for the Honda Insight

I tried securing my car with a brake-pedal locking device known as "Original Unbreakable Autolock", and it doesn't work on the Insight. The theory is that it locks the brake pedal in the 'up' position, and to engage most cars with an automatic transmission the brake pedal has to be pushed down to the floor. However, the Insight CVT will engage with the brake pedal in the 'up' position, thus defeating the purpose of the device. Does anyone have a good way of securing the vehicle? Getting it alarmed may not be the best way to go........Any thoughts, anyone?

Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anti-Theft Devices for the Honda Insight

Originally Posted by Ricco
I tried securing my car with a brake-pedal locking device known as "Original Unbreakable Autolock", and it doesn't work on the Insight. The theory is that it locks the brake pedal in the 'up' position, and to engage most cars with an automatic transmission the brake pedal has to be pushed down to the floor. However, the Insight CVT will engage with the brake pedal in the 'up' position, thus defeating the purpose of the device. Does anyone have a good way of securing the vehicle? Getting it alarmed may not be the best way to go........Any thoughts, anyone?
Look into the Ravelco disabler. They say it's never been compromised. Regardless, it's not likely the average Joe Schmo car thief will know how to deal with it. I have been tempted to get one, but I trade cars so often it's not smart for me to invest in a lot of aftermarket stuff for them.

http://www.ravelco.com/

Here is one of the testimonials from their website:

"I just wanted to thank you again for the Ravelco. It hasn't even been a month since you installed it, and last night someone tried stealing my Honda Civic in the garage I park at. They smashed my driver's side window in, and disabled the horn of my car alarm. It was obvious that stealing my car was their sole intention, because NOTHING was taken from my car. The car needs to be towed and have its ignition fixed, but that's better than it needing to be found. Seeing the Ravelco in its "passive action" definitely has put me at ease about spending a little extra money on having it installed. I know I would never forgive myself had I not had it installed and this happened. Thank you." - Kolapo DaSilva, Silver Spring, Maryland