Killer Mileage in my CVT (must be the weather)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Killer Mileage in my CVT (must be the weather)

Hello to all (this is my first post)

I have been getting good milaeage ever since I purchased my used Insight in early August. I have a 120 mile round trip commute to work daily and since the weather got a tad cooler, my mileage has been absolutely stellar.

Over the past 330+ miles I have averaged 74.4 MPG!!!!!!!! Remind you this is a CVT not the 5-speed.. 60 degrees F must be the sweet spot thermally for the Insight's best FE.

I am going to enter my status into the database soon.

Peace
StaggerLee

Old 10-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Killer Mileage in my CVT (must be the weather)

That's a great half tank mark you have set.

Can you maintain it for the remainder of the tank?

And the weather may be a factor, but I believe the driver plays a much larger part in excellent fuel mileage.

Good job!

P.S. Please think about entering your stats in the database, that would be good info.

Regards,

Old 10-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Banned
Default Welcome & Congratulations!

I have a 5-speed Insight and on my latest trip, I've gone 280 miles at only 74mpg. You are embarrasing me.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Killer Mileage in my CVT (must be the weather)

Granted I am getting darn good mileage in the CVT. I am paying a price however, I am driving 50-55MPH (the limit on the roads I travel) and have betting getting flipped off, honked at, and in general getting disapproving looks from others around for my driving speed. I think I will post a general etiquette question to find out what is conserdered acceptable.

Peace
StaggerLee

Old 10-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Banned

There has been a long and occasionally heated thread - Driving well under the speed limit: good idea or bad?

This is what I do: stay in the rightmost lane. If someone wants to pass - let them. I occssionaly attempt to anticipate bottlenecks ahead, not only to improve fuel economy, but to allow others to pass me. In the mornings, I leave ahead of the Dallas rush hour.

I drive at about the same speed, but occasionally allow momentum to get me in the low 60s.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi StaggerLee:

___What are your local speed limits?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast

I never drive more than +/- 5 of the posted limit. I drive on roards that have from 4-6 lanes so there is always an easy way to pass me.

Sometimes I just feel like people are trying to bully me becuase the Insight itself is so small. I have heard peope say that it is dangerous to drive any speed but with the prevailing traffic flow. I dont' think that this outweighs the danger of global warming, the end of peak oil, and the collapse of a failed civilization built around artifically cheap dino fuel.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi StaggerLee:

___If you are driving multi-lane highways with 55 mpg limits, your +/- 5 mph above/below in the far right lanes is perfect in my eyes.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Banned

I was wondering if you might the the Red CVT Insight driver I droped a note with www.greenhybrid.com Tuesday night. I'm the silver Insight driver that did it.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

If you live in the greater philadelphia area then could have been me. I have a red 2001 CVT.......

Quick Reply: Killer Mileage in my CVT (must be the weather)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands