Joining the club

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Joining the club

I have just purchased an Insight. I am very excited. I have to travel 1300 miles to bring it home. It is a 2000 model. I can't wait to join the ranks of the hyper club. I will let you all know what i get for mpg when i get it home.
denko

Old 01-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Joining the club

Welcome to the club!

Originally Posted by denko
I have just purchased an Insight. I am very excited. I have to travel 1300 miles to bring it home. It is a 2000 model. I can't wait to join the ranks of the hyper club. I will let you all know what i get for mpg when i get it home.
Did you get the manual or automatic? How many miles on it?

There has been some interesting work done with the Insights including one with a '5th wheel'. But we can cover that once you get back home.

Did you buy via Ebay or on online service?

Bob Wilson

Old 01-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Joining the club

Hello i have bought a 5 speed with 41600 miles on it. It was from a private seller. I was also wondering if anyone has any tricks or tips on how to drive in the mountains. I am going form St. Lake Ut to Wisconsin. I know there a some big hills on my route. I am worried about the battery espically since this is my first hybrid. Thanks for the welcome and any help you might have for me.

P.S. I will be getting the car on Sat or Sun the 27th or 28th this month.
Denko

Old 01-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

denco

I know it sounds wrong, but the less you use the battery the better your mileage will be and the longer it will last. In the mountians it is best to down shift and climb with the engine only if possible. If your battery soc (state of charge) makes too many cycles from full to empty it will over heat and drop off line until it cools again. Don't be afraid to downshift and rev it up to the red line, it's good for all you can give it. You don't need to climb at a high rev but just enough to keep the battery from assisting.

I have a little over 100000 on my 2000 Insight now and it's doing great, but I did have to change the batt once. I live in Phoenix so the batteries take a hit from the heat. Congratulations and good luck with your new car, I'm sure you will enjoy it like I do....Louis

Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Lois, thanks for the input. Is there a indicator to tell me that the battery is assisting the engine? I will plan on down shifting and using the engine for the climbs. I know the battery has just been replace under the recall so i am very happy about that.
Thanks again.
Dennis

Old 01-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

There are three light bars that tell the story of the battery. One for assist, one for regen, and one for state of charge. It would be helpful to read the manual before you head out with your new car. They can be driven like a "normal" car but you can maximize the cars abilities a lot sooner if you know what makes it tick. There is a lot of good advice on this sight and Insight central and cleanmpg if you want the really high MPGs. Most people get around 65 MPG but 100+ is well within it's capabilities.....Louis