fragile paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast
Question fragile paint?

I love my red '05 Insight - it's plenty big for me (actually bigger than all other cars I've owned - just had to add that since so many posters call it small )

So my question is, do others find that the paint nicks very easily? Is it because the body is aluminum? As with all cars I've owned, I make a consciencous effort to park away from other cars and avoid tight spaces. I don't mind walking from the back of a parking lot, but still I notice small nicks. One was from a rock that flew up from the road onto the hood so I can't prevent those but just today as I was washing it, I noticed several nicks inside the driver door. It was on the railing at seat height - I guess I must scrap my shoes on it as I get in/out. My husband dinged the passenger door on a metal post once as he was opening the door (on the edge where it closes w/the body of the car, about 1/2" long).

I always keep my cars in great shape and it just bums me when I get these nicks and dings. I read about a plastic made by 3M that you can get applied to your car - and it's even removeable (can't be re-applied but it can be removed safely). I was thinking of getting that put on the car. It's called Scotchguard Paint Protection Film, http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3..._the/Consumer/

So I'd like to hear your experience/comments with the paint on your Insight.

Deb

Old 01-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Banned
Default Re: fragile paint?

The only nicks on my 2000 Insight is when my I got a little carried away with a power sprayer and some scratches on the rear bumper backing into the bushes once. Really have not had a problem.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: fragile paint?

I keep mine waxed real well and don't get too many. I have noticed that on my "co-pilot's side" (aka:spouse) there are new chips below the door sill. These are new because I touched up my old chips. Two days ago I was backing in a VERY dark area at my parents house and nailed a small plastic well tube cover while backing up. Not a scratch on it. I also backed into some of my spare squares of shingles in my garage, that did leave a scratch! I can't buff that one out either. I've since moved the shingles.

For the most part, my Insight hasn't had too bad paint issues. My HCH seems to have "thin paint" but has held up well too. Now 85-87 GM products, that's another story!