Engine startup after idle stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Engine startup after idle stop

My 2006 Insight doesn't seem to startup consistently after idle stop. I always shift into neutral and let the clutch out while stopped. Most of the time, when I push in the clutch and shift to first, the engine will start. At other times, nothing happens. I have to push the clutch in again and move out of and back into first before the engine will fire. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? It is disconcerting when someone is waiting behind me and it takes some time to get the vehicle going. Thanks, John.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine startup after idle stop

This happens to me periodically. Usually, it can be resolved by just pushing the clutch in again. I sometimes leave the clutch in and then just shift to first. Because of this, I think it may not restart sometimes because the clutch was not completely to the floor. I have never had this as a significant concern, but I can see how this may cause problems for you. Considering how long you've had your Insight, I'd guess that it's something you just haven't gotten used to, rather than there being something wrong with the car.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information. I don't want to take the car for service unecessarily, especially since I am getting such good mpg. I guess I am afraid that they might make adjustments that bring the mpgs down, and I would rather put up with the little idiosyncrasies in order to keep getting such exceptional mileage. It doesn't happen all that often, and I know to push in on the clutch a second time, but there have been times when it takes two or three reclutches to get things going. This forum really helps as I can ask the experienced drivers first and alleviate any concerns that I would otherwise have. Thanks again, John.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:01 AM
Enthusiast

Taking your suggestion and that of others in the forum I seem to have alleviated the problem. I have been in the habit of downshifting when coming to a stop, but yesterday, instead, kept the same gear as I began to slow, bleeding as much from the regenerative braking as possible (until 1,000 rpm) and then immediately shifted into neutral and used the brake to come to a complete stop without downshifting. In every case, the engine immediately fired when I shifted to first and let out the clutch. It seems that this is the prefered action. Though it may result in more brake lining wear, as you mentioned, it will be easier on the clutch. Thanks for the suggestions. John

Last edited by Hovercar; 06-15-2006 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't drive a stick, but is there anyone else who drives a CVT Insight that experiences a slight shuddering by the tranny when starting up out of AS? The whole car seems to writhe once in a while when I hit the gas from a dead stop.