xm or satelite radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:01 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: xm or satelite radio

I just got a FM transmitter type of satillite radio today. I'm already a Sirius subscriber so I got a the one that can be removed and popped into a boombox and become mobile outside of the car.

Installed it on my '03 HCH. Anyway, I installed my antenna directly in front of my factory antenna on the roof. I went through the hole and did a small slice in the seal. There was already a indention so I made it just a tad bigger so the wire could fit in snug. I tapped in power from my map lights. The kit came with one of those big suction cup thingies so I mounted it behind my rear view mirror and the radio itself sits right beside the mirror to the right out of my way. So far it works pretty good of course I just finished the install an hour ago.

My main reason for the radio is two of my favorite shows: Car Talk and Dave Ramsey. Soon I'll have an hour one way commute so it's nice to have the radios in both cars, before I used to lug around about 50 pounds worth of CD's.

The model I got:
JVC KT-SR2000

and the car kit:
JVC KS-K6012

and the boom box I will get soon (saving up):
JVC KS-SB200 Boombox

All this stuff is a whole lot cheaper on eBay of course.

For the most part it's a simple install, Circuit City is always eager to do an install for you if you don't feel confident enough in your automotive skills. Good Luck.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I have the same setup as Rigger but put it in a bit differently (had it in for about 14 months now). I put the suction-cup cradle of the left side of the dash, resting on top of it (the lower left corner of the window). I run power below the steering column, and into the cig lighter. I ran the wire inside the panel below the steering wheel where I could. The antena I put on the roof, in the back left corner (back driver side). I ran the wire down along the left edge of the rear window (you can tuck the wire in behind the window), then into the trunk. I had to drill a small hole in the plastic cover over the back left shoulder belt assembly - ran the wire up into that, tucked behind the back seat, and then ran the wire up and tucked it into the moulding over the back rear, then front windows. This leads down to where the cradle is. In all, it's 90% out of sight. Last thing I did was remove the car antenna, as to not pick up competing FM signals to what the cradle broadcasts on.

Last edited by Tim; 02-12-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:09 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I came close to doing your setup but since there is almost always 2 people in the car I had to put it in the center. For the most part it's almost all hidden, I have two 6" (power and antenna) wires visible. The 12V socket is still free for my PDA/GPS so all is well.

As far as obstructing vision, I took the car out today and it's mostly out of view. Only time I even notice it is when I look for it. I'm giving myself a huge pat on the back for a great installation.

I thought about removing the car's antenna, then chose not to even though there is a conflicting local station. The moment I turn the unit on it drowns out the radio station's signal. Can you believe this thought crossed my mind?, "hey, the factory antenna creates drag, I should take it off".

Originally Posted by Tim
I have the same setup as Rigger but put it in a bit differently (had it in for about 14 months now). I put the suction-cup cradle of the left side of the dash, resting on top of it (the lower left corner of the window). I run power below the steering column, and into the cig lighter. I ran the wire inside the panel below the steering wheel where I could. The antena I put on the roof, in the back left corner (back driver side). I ran the wire down along the left edge of the rear window (you can tuck the wire in behind the window), then into the trunk. I had to drill a small hole in the plastic cover over the back left shoulder belt assembly - ran the wire up into that, tucked behind the back seat, and then ran the wire up and tucked it into the moulding over the back rear, then front windows. This leads down to where the cradle is. In all, it's 90% out of sight. Last thing I did was remove the car antenna, as to not pick up competing FM signals to what the cradle broadcasts on.