XM question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: XM question

What was you sat radio company? I think only ClearChannel channels on XM have advertisements. Only about 10 channels are ClearChannel on XM. None of the channels I listed above have advertisements.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Give it time.

When I first signed up, they advertised they were commercial free. Then, they advertised they were commercial free music (talk and news shows went to commericals). Then, they advertised "several channels" commercial free. Now, I don't see a single reference to being commerical free.

I once called to complain about the commericals. I was told they had to introduce commercials to keep up with operating costs. I'm curious if the merger will change anything for the better (for us).

Old 04-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

One only has to look to the past to predict the future of satellite radio.

Remember when cable TV first came out and it was advertised as commercial free programming. What a concept we all thought! Well that last a few years and then cable became just as saturated with commercials as over the air TV. Even PBS stations now show a form of commercials before most of its shows. Satellite radio will be no different.

If they can charge you a monthly fee and get revenue from advertisers they will do both.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Most of the music channels are commercial free. Only one of the music channels that I listen to frequently have commercials. As far as talk goes, there's really no way to do a talk show without commercials. The hosts can't talk for four hours straight without a break. They have to take breaks to go to the bathroom, drink, eat, whatever. During the breaks, they run commercials. XM is lightyears ahead of FM. Well worth the $12 per month or whatever it is if you spend a lot of time in the car.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Question to all. When you purchased you new HCH with Nav. it comes with XM. Did you call to start the service or did the dealership do this for you?

Old 04-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The service is already on. When you test drive the car, you can use it. When you buy the car, the dealer lets XM know so they know when to begin your three month trial.