XM

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: XM

Originally Posted by AZMerf
P.S. Man you like it cold in there! If you turn on the A/C, it will get even colder.
I keep it down there so I get the coolest vent air (no chance I'll get warm air sneaking through at below 65 degrees!). I don't use the A/C too often (and certainly not at 64!!!).

Old 06-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Easy! NO panels were removed. It was a simple matter of tucking the wire into the seams. I used a piece of plastic (like a credit card) and a small flat blade screwdriver to shove the wire under or between seams.

Start at the antenna and work toward the front. After tucking into the seam on the rear shelf, I then tucked it behind the seat back (at the area closest to the rear door opening... there's plenty of room to tuck it in there and not see it). From there, it tucks under the plastic door sill plate (between the carpet and the sill plate). Keep tucking it under the plastic molding around the B-pillar (door pillar), and then up the front door sill plate. It then goes up the kick panel area until it's under the dash. I found it easy to string the wire under the glove box. I seem to recall that there's a ridge there where the wire can rest, but you could also tape it to the bottom of the glove box (I didn't do this, and nothing is hanging down, so it must be okay!). From there, it's a straight shot over to the center of the dash, and to the mounting point for the XM Roady device.

By the way, my double-sided tape mount for the Roady is "iffy". In the hot sun, it finally started to give way! I'll have to run a sheet metal screw (or two) between the bracket and the top of the storage area to secure it permanently. That area is NOT visible from anywhere in the vehicle, so no issue of screws or screw holes being obvious!
Is your antenna just sitting on the rear deck?

Have you tried this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antenna-Car-Moun...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 06-13-2006, 11:05 PM

I've got double-sided tape holding it down... not that it would move much anyway, because the wire is tucked under the panel! Thanks, though... that suction mount looks decent. Don't know that I'd want to stick it to the back glass though. Might cause a problem with the defroster grids. Not allowed to use suction mounts on the front windshield, either (not legal in California or Minnesota, though I have no clue why!)

Old 06-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Enthusiast

I have my xm antenna installed the same exact way as Anahymbrid. I didn't want the antenna on the outside of the vehicle (plus, where it is was an easy install). I haven't had any problems with reception either. My antenna came with a little piece of metal - one side had double-sided tape on it. I used that to mount the magnetic antenna on.

Great pictures of the install!

Old 06-14-2006, 09:31 AM

A quick update to my XM installation... The doublesided tape was indeed insufficient to hold the Roady device. To correct this, I drilled two holes into the top of the bracket and then into the upper portion of the plastic trim in the storage box of the car. I hate the thought of drilling ANYTHING on my new baby, but this one was pretty easy and... even if I remove the bracket... you can't see the holes from any position in the vehicle.

If you do this installation, be aware that the top trim piece for that storage box has hidden plastic cross braces in certain locations. Drill in the wrong place (as I did) and it makes it difficult to mount the screw straight. That top piece can be removed easily (found that out a little late, though!).

I now have it mounted with doublesided tape AND the two screws, and it's rock solid. I also built a short (4") black cord (to replace the white cord in the photo) and it looks great.

Between the 12 FM, 6 AM, CD, PCMCIA card and XM, I now have FAR too many audio choices!

By the way, has anyone with XM noticed that they're now putting some commercials on the music stations ? I've heard three so far on MIX. That's a BAD trend, and has me concerned.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

How about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIRIUS-SIGMA-ANT...QQcmdZViewItem

It's a Sirius antenna that mounts to the inside of the windshield of the car. Looks pretty slick - although at about $35 it's a little pricey.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands