Woohoo. Magnetic Pearl 2006 HCH (no Nav)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Woohoo. Magnetic Pearl 2006 HCH (no Nav)

First of all, I love the threads that everyone has been writing. I've gotten a lot of info (mostly useful, some not so) about the HCH. Finally registered as a user instead of just a bystanding reader.

Got my goods at Hayward of Honda on 3/12. Waited 3 weeks to pay $400 over MSRP though . Can't complain. Used to drive (and still do) a yellow 1995 M3. Still runs great, but getting a little tired of those traffic jams here on Southbound 880 in the Bay Area here. For those of you doing the same commute, you can still see me sitting in traffic watching you (hybriders) go by cuz I'm waitin' on my sticker. Still chugging at 23mpg in that car (not bad). Wanna save a bit on the mileage considering only 3 year/36k for warranty (too cheap to spend the extra $1300 on the 7 year/120k).

A little bit about a couple of dealerships. San Leandro Honda kinda suks. They give you a 4 month wait time and they don't treat you well cuz they know you're not buying that day. Hayward of Honda was allright cuz I my friend knew the sales manager there. Their original markup was $2k, but he gave it out for the $400. The finance guy suked though cuz he was making excuses on why i SHOULD get the ext warranty. Told me that the technology was unproven and crap like that. Dude, it's a Honda. Knocking their own products to get their score.

ok, off my soap box. Only 112 miles thus far after two weeks. Only driven to SF for the transponder and around town. But probably be putting on 20k/year once it gets going.

thanks all.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Woohoo. Magnetic Pearl 2006 HCH (no Nav)

Originally Posted by viaw

A little bit about a couple of dealerships. San Leandro Honda kinda suks. They give you a 4 month wait time and they don't treat you well cuz they know you're not buying that day. Hayward of Honda was allright cuz I my friend knew the sales manager there. Their original markup was $2k, but he gave it out for the $400.
I'm a bit surprised about Honda of Hayward. When I talked to them in December their policy was to charge MSRP. I guess market forces twisted their arm.

There was a lot of discussion here a few months ago about finding good Bay Area dealerships because a lot of people were looking. For the benefit of those looking now, it really pays off to talk to dealerships that are far away from Carpool-Sticker-Land. The farther you go the less demand, and you can get a better price. I got my HCH in Davis, just an hour's drive away, and paid MSRP.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Congrats on your HCH II! Great color!

Old 03-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

Congradts! Great color! That's the color I purchased yesterday.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Me too!

Sorry to hear you got stiffed for $400 over MSRP. I was desperately searching for an '06 HCH in mag pearl and found one after about 45 minutes on the phone in Sacramento. I asked "OK, what do you want for it..." and the guy said in a surprised tone "Hm. Looks like it's list price." He was clearly surprised that it was being sold at list.

Needless to say, I was there the very next morning with cash in hand, Mel Rapton Honda. They were great, very friendly. Only problem was that as a business lease for a non-incorporated business, Honda finance kept us waiting 4 hours while they sorted everything out for the lease. But that wasn't the dealer's fault.

Otherwise, I'm really happy with the car. I killed it today by leaving the key on in the ignition, the battery died. I called the dealership, they said give it a normal slow-charge over night, no problem.

I've got about 250 miles so far, average MPG of 39. Nothing spectacular there, but frankly we bought the car for the HOV stickers, not much more, so MPG doesn't mean much to me, though apparently it's a big deal to everyone else? I just find it humorous that this "super high mileage" vehicle actually doesn't get much better mileage than a regular civic.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Me too!

Originally Posted by molex
I've got about 250 miles so far, average MPG of 39. Nothing spectacular there, but frankly we bought the car for the HOV stickers, not much more, so MPG doesn't mean much to me, though apparently it's a big deal to everyone else? I just find it humorous that this "super high mileage" vehicle actually doesn't get much better mileage than a regular civic.
You're kidding yourself. If you drive the HCH so that you get 39 MPG, you'd be doing no better than 28 MPG in a regular Civic.

Hey, you have a 1006 HCH? Is that the one Richard the Lionheart rode into battle?

Old 03-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default LOL!

Yep, you know Ricky was very conscientous about the environment, right?

Not sure why I'm not getting any better than 39mpg, I don't have a lead foot or anything. I'm driving about 60/40 freeway/surface, so far not much sitting in traffic though with the hybrid I expect that would improve mileage, not hurt it.

Anyways, if my results are typical, I can certainly see why some people would be upset to buy a car advertising mid 40's MPG and get under 40. Of course, my average may well improve over time, only had the car for about 5 days now.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

glad you got your hch. You will get better mileage over time. Iaverage over 47mpg so im sure yours will rise.. If you want an extended warrannty,you dont have to buy it from your dealer at that crazy price! Shop around online.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

Congrats!! Love the color (same as mine! )