WIND

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: WIND

Just drive backwards.
The aerodynamics of the car will suck you forward.

This uses no gas at all.
In fact you will notice that your gas level actually goes UP.

:lol:

Old 01-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: WIND

Originally Posted by ElanC
Basic Newtonian physics - to maintain constant motion, any force must be countered by an equal force in the opposite direction. If air drag is proportional to the square of velocity then the force required to overcome drag is proportional to the square of velocity.
Yes again, but here you are comparing force to energy. The force is proportional to the square of the velocity, and the ENERGY required to generate that force is proportional to the cube of the velocity.

~Droid

Old 01-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Actually, It Can Get Worse...

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Even worse, an iced road?
Actually, I don't seem to take a huge hit when the roads are iced; the reduction in speed (like this morning, from 60 down to 40-45) seems to offset any increase in rolling resistance. Come to think of it, is it possible there's a *reduction* in rolling resistance on iced (not snowy or slushy) roads?

Then again, I guess not everyone slows down - like the tourists, or the 5 cars I saw off the road today (all 4-wheel drive, btw - will they **never** learn?)