Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

The Civic Hybrid is a great, reliable car, just like all the Civics. The reasons some stated above for not liking the Prius, like the screen and all that "stuff going on" are the main reason I like the car. It's different, fun, and exciting with lots of features I would only get on a much more expensive car. I get lots of cargo space and can leave the dog in it in the summer and he stays safe and comfortable and can see out without jumping to the front seat. I can haul a 36" TV! (You would think that never happens but for some reason it does) I drive in a congested city and the Prius ROCKS in this type of situation. Even the highways in Chicago move slowly!

The Civic is great, practical, reliable, good mileage, especially on the highway. I thought long and hard about getting one since they were available while the Prius wasn't, and probably coudl get under MSRP. Even if they were 5K less than the Prius, I still wouldn't have bought one because they were too dull for me. I would have just kept my old, reliable Saturn SC2 that gets crummy city (20-25MPG) mileage but 33-37MPG highway at 75MPH. I would buy the Prius if it got only 30MPG, just for it's features and design.

Availability has been an issue for the Prius, but that more reflects its popularity. Now Toyota's 3rd most sold car, the total supply for Prius exceeds HCH, even at the higher price/no discounts. Price is relative and reflects supply and demand, even with a higher supply of Prius vs. HCH demand exceeded supply, hence no discounts or availability. In the near future, the situation might change and there have been reports of some sold less than MSRP as inventory begins to build.

-Just to correct a misconception - you CAN change the radio in a Prius, there's a spot in the dash to put in whatever you want. You lose the screen integration, something many don't want to give up, and need a part for steering wheel integration. For cars with the NAV & Bluetooth phone, these systems are integrated with the stereo and an aftermarket radio supplements in order to keep the audio functions. The 6 disc in dash with the premium system is hard to replace in an aftermarket, you look at changers under seat, trunk, etc. Many of us (myself included) don't want to lose this integration or the polished look of the dash. That is why there is so much talk about supplementing rather than replacing.

-The Prius II gets 2MPG better as reported by mileage databases here, very close to the Civic. While our sample sizes are small for both cars, I'd say the numbers are pretty close, most people seem to get similar mileage on the highway and a little better mileage in the city on Prius, especially in congestion. Prius is bigger, 5cu.ft more passenger and 6cu. ft luggage and has performance similar to a full size 4 cylinder (0-60 10.5sec vs. 13.4 by Consumer Reports), so the fact it's getting better mileage is significant.

-Some have said it was important "you could drive a Civic w/o the Hybrid system, no batteries, on engine alone." Given the performance of the system WITH the hybrid system, the 1.3L engine by itself, while drivable, would be really difficult to use in USA driving. Other than emergencies, it is unlikely anyone will drive their car w/o the hybrid system. This is like a Prius owner saying "you can drive the Prius w/o the engine in electic only" Yes, limited, but is this a selling point?

-There is no learning to drive a Prius. My parents do it just fine, and they had no lesson and not into tech stuff, they thought it was fun and would consider buying one. Only people who learn new things are hypermilers, and that's the same for any car if you want to milk MPG. I drive hard and fast and get 45MPG. Many get more, but I like being able to drive how I want.

Both are great cars and appeal to different buyers. The civic uses a simpler system and gets great mileage. You could probably use it as a rental car and most would never know it's a hybrid. The Prius was designed as a hybrid and is unique. I don't know which is better for you.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Got the HCH because they were available and at below MSRP. Would have liked to have gotten the Prius but I am totally satisifed with the HCH and would buy another. Kevin

Old 04-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texashchman
Got the HCH because they were available and at below MSRP. Would have liked to have gotten the Prius but I am totally satisifed with the HCH and would buy another. Kevin
definitely. my mother is going to buy the 2006 civic hybrid when it comes out in dealerships

Old 04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

Totally the handling - the HCH manual handles IMHO way better because you have much more control over the vehicle. Snow handling definately a plus for us. Also my wife hated the visiblity out of the Prius - made her feel hemmed in. She also does not like hatchbacks - prefers safety of lockable trunk.

If you want pricing on Hondas - see
http://criswellhonda.net/Default.asp...=new-inventory

We got a great deal back in January - saved $4,500 over Prius.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

We bought the HCH manual because the handling is way better than the Prius, and also the price. We got a great deal in January that saved us $4,000 over the Prius.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Couldn't test drive "thin air" - no one had one to test.
Civic is more "car like" in interior, wife liked that.
We're big H family.
Not big on waiting for car, lousy leverage when everyone wants one.
Hate the "center centric" dash, why not put it up on "heads up" display for driver? I'd pay extra for that!

Old 05-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast

I looked at the Prius and being the gadgetgeek that I am, really wanted one. But after running the numbers on the Prius, found that it would take me nearly 20 years to break even with my HCH. That breakeven number was based on getting a base Prius, with no side-airbags or anything.

The other problem was that I would have actually have had to buy an optioned version, since the dealers were not ordering the base package, which meant another 2K over that price. All that, plus a 3 month wait.

Not worth it. Hence as of yesterday we now have a 2005 HCH.

SKC

Old 05-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skcHCH
I looked at the Prius and being the gadgetgeek that I am, really wanted one. But after running the numbers on the Prius, found that it would take me nearly 20 years to break even with my HCH. That breakeven number was based on getting a base Prius, with no side-airbags or anything.

The other problem was that I would have actually have had to buy an optioned version, since the dealers were not ordering the base package, which meant another 2K over that price. All that, plus a 3 month wait.

Not worth it. Hence as of yesterday we now have a 2005 HCH.

SKC
Sounds to me like you made a very wise decision after thoughtful calculations and decision making....something a lot a Prius purchasers don't do. But what can you expect from California: the land of fruits and nuts!!

Old 05-02-2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by dzitlow
something a lot a Prius purchasers don't do. But what can you expect from California: the land of fruits and nuts!!
Don't make these kinds of attacks.

Old 05-02-2005, 09:22 PM
jmg14213

Originally Posted by jmg14213
As for the Accord, well, I bought the Hybrid for the mileage, not as a gas hog sports car.

Matt
No kidding. Still, I think having more hp might not be a bad thing. It seems like right now there are two extremes: low hp and super-high fe, then high hp and medium fe......

I'm guessing that 50mpg with 200hp will be doable as the tech matures.
I would like more power, but I think most of it should have come from the IMA, not a V6. Why is the HAH powered with the VCM V6 and not the I4? Because it is being marketed as a sport sedan, not an economy sedan. Although I could and would appreciate the larger car for my job, I am not in the market for a sports car, I need a comfortable economy car. Hence, the Prius would have been a better purchase had the "user interface", re. dashboard and controls, been more conventional and appealing.

As for doable, it could be done right now. Every 4000hp. railroad diesel locomotive is hybrid. Always have been. True they don't have the batteries to store the power created by regenerative braking, but they have the braking none the less. They just turn the electricity into heat, away from the "wheels". They call it "dynamic braking", but it is the same thing. And EMD, a manufacturer of locomotives since before world war two, was recently up for sale by its founder/owner, General Motors. So when GM says, "We can't do hybrids", they are lying through their teeth. I certanly don't need the power or hauling capacity of a locomotive, but the technology is far older than many have been lead to believe. Briggs and Stratton, yes the lawn mower engine people, demonstrated an Insight like vehicle, using lead batteries (which required two rear axles) in 1980!

Stepping off soap box now. I just get so worked up.... This HCH is also my first "foreign" car, so I'm having to make TWO attitude adjustments...

Matt

Quick Reply: Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands