Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

The only thing I can think of is astetics(sp). I think the only other thing I have seen about the Prius is that the back window is so small, maybe due to it being a hatchback. I personally like the look of a regular sedan with a trunk. Since I mainly use this car for commuting the size of the trunk is fine for me.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Archslater
I have noticed that several here have listed the hatchback as a negative on the Prius. I'm curious why??? I think not having a hatchback is a negative on my HCH. I can't figure out why most Americans think negatively towards hatchbacks, when they tend to be more practical/flexible when it comes to cargo. Most hatchbacks also have a cover over the rear area, so cargo is still covered just as in a sedan. I can't think of a single disadvantage. I'm jealous about all of the great hatchbacks available in Europe. Help me out?
For me having a separate trunk is an added level of security. I think it's a little harder to break the lock on a trunk than the window of a hatchback. Also your belongings are safer in a trunk when you valet park your car. I try to avoid valets but what do you do if there's no alternative and your expensive tennis racquets and gym bag are stored in the back? Take them in the restaurant with you? I don't have that worry with a trunk--I can leave my junk in there forever.

I also happened to find the Prius' back window too small for my visibility comfort, but that was another issue.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donald
MG,
I hope you enter your mileage in the GH database after your first tank. I live near cold, snowy Buffalo, NY. I like to see what others get who live in nortern climates. Most of the top ten for mileage live in the southern states. I wonder if anyone has some data on using the engine block heaters to improve mpg? Good luck with your new ride.
I think I'd benefit from an engine block heater here in San Diego. My mileage for the first few miles each morning with temps in the 40s is much lower than average.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by tarabell
For me having a separate trunk is an added level of security....your belongings are safer in a trunk when you valet park your car.
Fully agree. The neat thing with the '06 (sorry this is my first Civic so this may be a feature in older models also) is the truck release inside, near the driver, can be locked with the main key, but not unlocked with the Valet, just like the lock on the trunk itself, so even a valet has no access to your truck, if you choose.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:53 AM
06 HCH

Styling, price. The obnoxious toyota dealer pissed me off!

Old 02-01-2006, 01:00 PM
It's not easy being Green

Originally Posted by Archslater
I have noticed that several here have listed the hatchback as a negative on the Prius. I'm curious why??? I think not having a hatchback is a negative on my HCH. I can't figure out why most Americans think negatively towards hatchbacks, when they tend to be more practical/flexible when it comes to cargo. Most hatchbacks also have a cover over the rear area, so cargo is still covered just as in a sedan. I can't think of a single disadvantage. I'm jealous about all of the great hatchbacks available in Europe. Help me out?
For me, the biggest negative of a hatchback is the compromise to the structural rigidity of the body. In a rear end collision, the hatchback is not going to do as well as a sedan. Simple physics. The other shortcoming of the lack of rigidity is that the suspension of a hatchback must be tuned stiffer than a sedan to compensate for less rigidity. Therefore, the rear axle will tend to transmit more bumps into the structure giving a slightly harsher ride. Finally, I just didn't use the fold down seats when I had a hatchback to make more room for cargo; I just didn't use the flexibility.

MG

Old 02-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

In the end, style, and not having to pay an extra 5 grand to have it fully loaded.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MG_HCHII
For me, the biggest negative of a hatchback is the compromise to the structural rigidity of the body. In a rear end collision, the hatchback is not going to do as well as a sedan. Simple physics. The other shortcoming of the lack of rigidity is that the suspension of a hatchback must be tuned stiffer than a sedan to compensate for less rigidity. Therefore, the rear axle will tend to transmit more bumps into the structure giving a slightly harsher ride. Finally, I just didn't use the fold down seats when I had a hatchback to make more room for cargo; I just didn't use the flexibility.

MG
Is this supported in crash test results? Curious, I have never heard such a claim. I would love a hatchback. Having owned three VW rabbits and three subaru station wagons, the hatchback is what I'm used to. Though I do appreciate the trunk sometimes, like when I just leave my golf clubs in there - no worries about catching the eye of a thief.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:01 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by zimbop
Is this supported in crash test results? Curious, I have never heard such a claim. I would love a hatchback. Having owned three VW rabbits and three subaru station wagons, the hatchback is what I'm used to. Though I do appreciate the trunk sometimes, like when I just leave my golf clubs in there - no worries about catching the eye of a thief.
It is simple physics as there isn't the bracing behind the rear seats as in a sedan. Modern engineering has more than overcome this however. I have never heard any complaints from auto journalists or others about a lack of structural rigidity in a modern day hatchback. My 99 Integra was rock solid. In addition most hatchbacks have covers over the rear storage area so your stuff isn't visible to would be thiefs.

I suspect that the reason that most americans avoid hatchbacks has nothing to do with structural rigidity or the valet key safety (how many of us use valet parking?). Maybe there is a stigma or something? I miss the utility of a hatchback, being able to take a trip to Lowes and get 8' lumber, stow the bike in the back, etc....

Old 02-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Again, is this safety issue statistically documented anywhere? While it might be simple physics if the engineers simply ignored the concern, I seriously doubt that they didn't compensate. It may be easy to assume they're less safe because of a percieved lack of rigidity, that's not necessarily the case. Convertables would have less rigidity than a roofed car, but they don't because the frame has extra reinforcement to make up for it (which is why, oddly enough, convertibles are sometimes heavier than their standard counterparts). In order to pass crash tests, if the hatchback is inherently less sturdy, they must make up for it somewhere. So, if crash tests support the theory then I might consider it an issue, but if not then I'd chalk it up to armchair science.

Last edited by zimbop; 02-02-2006 at 06:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands