Why Would Anyone Want a Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 12:38 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: Why Would Anyone Want a Manual?

Off topic first - I've never seen a 1965 Shelby COBRA Mustang. I've seen lots of GT350's though. ( I do have another standard transmission car that's not the Insight, I'll post pics in the Share section) Just as good as a GT-350.

Back on topic - I had to get a CVT in my HCH so the wife could drive it, she just can't be taught how to drive a manual.

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hi Ralph;

I really (HATE) to be a "HEART-BREAKER" but do you want to guess who used to (OWN)

a "1965 Shelby Cobra Mustang"?

You guessed it; (ME).

Have-A-Nice-Day

Terry

Old 11-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've always enjoyed driving sticks; they're so much more engaging and involved than an automatic. I like my CVT fine, but I definitely miss how active the driver is in a stick. On the bright side, some of the FE tricks I use actually serve that purpose pretty well - Pulse & Glide and FAS both require the driver stimulation that only a manual tranny would normally demand.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased a "one-only" ad car so price was a factor, but I actually preferred a manual. With an HOV-access sticker, driving in stop-and-go traffic is not as much of a problem.

One other benefit is that the manual has more torque at a lower RPM (116 lb-ft @ 1,500 RPM vs. 105 lb-ft @ 3000 RPM). I assume that the CVT is the torque-limiting piece of the drive train. With the IMA, I am surprised at how high a gear I can keep the car in.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

I used to prefer sticks for two reasons:

1 - the driving fun, but honestly for me that only fits with a sports type car (MG, Mini or MINI, Alfa, etc..)

2 - I used to absolutely hate how autos felt. The worst part was the 'lurch' when flooring it, as the auto tranny is shifting. Another part was the coasting and lack of engine breaking.

With respect to 1:
I still occasionally miss ALL of the fun of my 03 MINI Cooper S, including it's wonderful 6-speed. I truly miss the handling of the car, and there are some things you can never do with an auto, such as on a tight circuit throttle steer around a tight fast curve.

With respect to 2: the 'CVT' of the HSD was truly a revelation for me. I know many have criticized it, but I love it, and I think it's the best 'auto style' tranny out there. There is no shifting lurch when flooring it! You have some engine braking (and it's regen at that), and can also use the B setting.

just some thoughts...

Old 12-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I used to prefer sticks for two reasons:

1 - the driving fun, but honestly for me that only fits with a sports type car (MG, Mini or MINI, Alfa, etc..)

2 - I used to absolutely hate how autos felt. The worst part was the 'lurch' when flooring it, as the auto tranny is shifting. Another part was the coasting and lack of engine breaking.
I agree on both points.
A standard just feels better in a sports car (RX-7, Supra, CRX, NSX, etc.), it is a natural combination. I can't believe some people get exotics with automatics! ... I guess it is more of a status thing for them than what the car truly is capable of. Even econo-boxes feel nice with a manual, you do feel more 'one' with the car once shifting becomes subconcious.
I always hated automatics because you can feel the parasitic loss they have. My ex and I both had 2nd gen (86-88) RX-7s ... hers was auto and mine a 5-spd. I was shocked how sluggish her car was!!! I couldn't believe it was the same engine.
I no longer hate autos, they serve a great purpose. Easier/less effort in stop and go. Less power and FE loss than ever before. More gears or CVT. Great if you are injured. If serviced properly, the lifespan is easily comparable to a manual from what I have saw plus no clutch assembly to replace AND one less thing to break. I had a clutch pedal assembly break on an Isuzu I-Mark in my driveway.
If I buy another sports car, it MUST be a standard otherwise ... it just doesn't matter as much anymore. I just picked up a 05 HCH CVT tonight. I bought it because it had 8800 miles, like new and saved around 5 or 6 k from what I was gonna pay for a 06. It was a fresh trade in and the only other Hybrid (I would buy) for sale in my city. The other one was at a dealer across the street, it was an 03 with over 20k miles and the same price.
A manual would have been nice, but, I also feel more spoiled with an auto, a luxury item you could say. I also believe with the CVT I will drive more efficiently and calm. A stick for me envokes passion and desire to drive the car in a more performance oriented way, even with the 80 hp I-Mark. In no way do I want to do this with this car nor do I think it in any way is meant to be driven so either. I would have bought a used S2000 if I wanted to push 6 gears to thier limits (or a more capable sports car).
Even though I have only owned this car for one night, I am more than pleased. The CVT is responsive enough for its purpose and cars abilities.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:20 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

I have bum knees. My BODY acutally told me that I had bought my last manual, 2 cars ago when I traded in my (beautiful) BMW 325 coupe (it's always the pretty ones that break your heart and kill your cash!)

And luckily the Auto Tranz in the Civic no longer lurches because there's no "gears" there to shift down to when you punch it.

It's a very Yoda-Like car now: "Go or No Go, there is no Downshift.'

Old 12-31-2005, 08:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I love my 5MT in my new EX Sedan. Its very smooth. Clutch is the second best Ive ever used. In a daily driver. Very light under foot.

It is true in the nonehybrid Civics the 5MT takes a EPA hit on mpg. But Civic owners right off the bat are having problems with there 5AT's that could shed a bit of light on the mpg issue. The 5AT's are staying locked in 5th gear at to low of a rpm. Some down to 1300, 1400, 1500 rpm. This is causeing there engines to lug something awful. To the point of complaints of growling, knocking, vibrations and all sorts of stuff. At that point one has to give it some gas and force the torque converter to unlock. There goes part of its claims of better FE.

The nonehybrid Civics have FE cam grinds and profiles that make it loaf around like a 1.5l engine if one keeps the tach left of center and away from WOT or heavy throttle short shifting. Ive seen this lower rpm light load 1.5l so called profile refered to as lean burn. I dont think that is right. But I can now see why HX was droped from the line up as a model/trim. With the hybrid making advances along with the new 1.8l's new cam profiles and controls. There dosent seem to be a spot for HX.

A large part of my hypermiling efforts focus on coasting. ICE on and off. Ice off is where a 5MT comes in real handy. Dump the clutch and its running again. Dont get a Navi reboot when done right. I also like to shift from 1st, 3rd, 5th. This gives me good forward motion and allows for the rpm's to still be kept well under the point of vtec engagement.

The 5MT gives me the ablity to explore FE options and leaves me the ablity to enjoy spirted driving in a all in one great package. A 5AT and CVT only allow for the first option.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would absolutely drive a stick for a current model sports car - my previous car was a 5 spd. BMW 330ci. For a car like the HCH i like the CVT just fine. That doesnt mean i'm swilling big gulps, drive thru burgers and talking on my cell phone. I can concentrate on other things like traffic, road conditions, fuel consumption etc.. for many of us that grew up in the 80's with imports, manual transmissions hold a special spot in our hearts but they are outdated when newer transmissions like BMW's SMG, Audi's DSG and CVT's are technically better.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:11 PM
04 prius 350,000km

yes with a MT, you can ICE off and drive like a hybrid car when you don't even have one!

Old 03-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Enthusiast

Because you want to DRIVE, not just steer.

Driving is a visceral experience. My wife loves the HCHII, but I'd rather walk. The only real sensation in this car is how coarse and loud the rock hard tires are.

Quick Reply: Why Would Anyone Want a Manual?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands