Why Would Anyone Want a Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Why Would Anyone Want a Manual?

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
On the Insight, the CVT version doesn't have lean-burn, which hurts its mpgs a lot.
I agree that to be fair you need to use the same engine but I don't think "lean-burn" does much to help MPG at all. In addition to having lean-burn the MT version of the Insight also has higher compression, which I believe is a bigger factor. My reasoning is that if you look at the Gen 1 Civics the PZEV also lacks leanburn but the mileage does not suffer when compared to lean-burn models.

2005 Honda Civic Hybrids:

Honda Civic Hybrid (automatic, lean burn) 48/47
Honda Civic Hybrid (automatic,PZEV) 47/48

Honda Civic Hybrid (manual, lean burn) 46/51
Honda Civic Hybrid (manual,PZEV) 45/51

If you look in the database the Civic MTs are beating the CVTs by 3 mpg.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:21 PM
G.H. Contributor
Angry Re: Why Would Anyone Want a Manual?

Hi everyone; well here is my (3-Cents-Worth).

Ready?

Traffic-traffic-Traffic-Traffic-Traffic-Traffic-Traffic-Traffic-Traffic-Traffic

It took me approx. 45 min. to travel 3-miles in city stop and wait and go traffic just to get to the interestate ramp and then stop at the bottom of the ramp to try to merge onto the interstate with it stopped and backed up as far as you could see and finally after getting in (Line) you had the Golden Opportunity to do the following.

If you think it is fun or exciting or you have that control thing going on you need to be in front of me or behind me or beside me this evening while trying to drive home and merge onto the interestate at (30-35 mph) or Stop and Go and then do it again for mile after mile. You all that love manuals would very soon get (Sick) of holding that clutch pedal down and easing it up and then back down and then back up and here we go again with the whole process over and over mile after mile to get home after being at work all day and tired. Manuals may have been the rave back "Maybe-10yrs. Ago" with little traffic but this is a different USA that we live and drive in today.

Spare me the fun, exciting, controlling, I'm in charge thing with a Manual Trans. unless you happen to live in the middle of (NO-WHERE) USA.

Lazy and Happy

Auto-Trans. Man

Terry

Old 11-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Banned

The only time a 5-speed is a problem for me is when freeway traffic tuns into a stop-and-go parking lot that creeps at sub 5mph. My solution on Honda's is an EV mode. It would be good on the nerves and the FE.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:13 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by lakedude
"Why would anybody want a CVT" is a better question. The CVT is more expensive, less reliable, usually gets worse mileage, and lacks the control you get with a MT. The only reasons to prefer a CVT that I can think of are:

1) Availability, got one cause you couldn't find a manual
2) Lazeyness in the extreme.
3) You need your hands free to do things you shouldn't be doing in a moving vehicle.
4) You don't know how to drive a MT.

I think "4" is very valid if you are just learning how to drive. You have enough to worry about when you are learning how to drive without a clutch and shift lever to worry about.
To CVT or not to CVT.....Or in my case, relentless chirping by the wife because she doesn't know how or want to learn how to drive a manual.. And if I want to have a few drinks, she can drive me home.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:57 AM
World's First Hybrid

Couldn't agree with you more Terry. My daily commute was always stop-go for mile after mile, unrelenting traffic jams and I vowed to never again buy a manual trans, especially after breaking my left leg skiing a few years back. But if I decide to get that 1966 shelby cobra and only drive it on sunny weekend days, that's another story..

Old 11-19-2005, 08:19 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Why Would Anyone Want a Manual?

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Couldn't agree with you more Terry. My daily commute was always stop-go for mile after mile, unrelenting traffic jams and I vowed to never again buy a manual trans, especially after breaking my left leg skiing a few years back. But if I decide to get that 1966 shelby cobra and only drive it on sunny weekend days, that's another story..
Hi Ralph;

I really (HATE) to be a "HEART-BREAKER" but do you want to guess who used to (OWN)

a "1965 Shelby Cobra Mustang"?

You guessed it; (ME).

Have-A-Nice-Day

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-19-2005 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Re-Arrange (text)
Old 11-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker

Ready?

It took me approx. 45 min. to travel 3-miles in city stop and wait and go traffic just to get to the interestate ramp and then stop at the bottom of the ramp to try to merge onto the interstate with it stopped and backed up as far as you could see and finally after getting in (Line) you had the Golden Opportunity to do the following.

If you think it is fun or exciting or you have that control thing going on you need to be in front of me or behind me or beside me this evening while trying to drive home and merge onto the interestate at (30-35 mph) or Stop and Go and then do it again for mile after mile. You all that love manuals would very soon get (Sick) of holding that clutch pedal down and easing it up and then back down and then back up and here we go again with the whole process over and over mile after mile to get home after being at work all day and tired. Manuals may have been the rave back "Maybe-10yrs. Ago" with little traffic but this is a different USA that we live and drive in today.

Spare me the fun, exciting, controlling, I'm in charge thing with a Manual Trans. unless you happen to live in the middle of (NO-WHERE) USA.

Lazy and Happy

Auto-Trans. Man

Terry

I would and am going to live in what you call the middle of nowhere! Kevin

Old 11-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast

Ready?

Lazy and Happy

Auto-Trans. Man

Terry

Tiger,

I can understand your feelings I live and work in the San Francisco bay area and drive everyday on one of the nations rudest stretch of freeways 880. Going through traffic I tend to allow myself extra room and drive slower so I do not come to a complete stop as often. Loosing momentum hurts MPG CVT or MT. My commute is 23 miles that can take up to 90 minutes, the MT is really not that bad I just changed my driving habits a little to compensate.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:51 AM
World's First Hybrid

Hi Ralph;

I really (HATE) to be a "HEART-BREAKER" but do you want to guess who used to (OWN)

a "1965 Shelby Cobra Mustang"?

You guessed it; (ME).

Have-A-Nice-Day

Terry
You did break my heart....Helped my friend build his "kit" car cobra 2 years ago. I did all the electrical for him. I'll probably be driving it on thanksgiving morning for a bit if the weather is nice..

Old 11-19-2005, 12:38 PM
04 prius 350,000km

oh stick... auto is nice after a hard days' of work and you want to... hahah **** public forum!

at least for those whom are lazy and want control, at least in the future like the honda jazz its CVT will have a 7 speed paddle shifter! it emulates 7 preset ratios... so when you shift its the fastest and smoothest shift ever... all within a click of a button!

and more efficent than an auto... now that's progress! why couldn't the civic hybrid have some manual sequential feature... i'd pay for that.

Quick Reply: Why Would Anyone Want a Manual?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands