Why did this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why did this happen?

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Today's update... identical trip, same temperature (mid 50's):

Today, the IFG worked fine. There was still no regen charging, though. Once I got on the freeway, I noticed something else... under normal cruising (58mph) on a slight upgrade, IFG was lower than normal, perhaps 30mpg. At that time, there were three green charge bars. Suddenly, the charge bars went away and MPG returned to around 50. I'm suspecting that the battery needed to be charged, and this created an engine load which reduced MPG.

The question I have... why did the battery recharge via engine load instead of the FREE regen that was available to it just 3 minutes earlier (braking coming down the big hill)? I'm guessing it's because the system didn't want to charge the battery when it was "cold"... but in fact, I'd bet the core temperature of the battery was no different (3 minutes later). Seems wasteful to me... and if it happens every day, it's VERY wasteful.
Next time you go down the hill shift to S. You'll get your regen and save gas.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why did this happen?

Originally Posted by mexiken

The fluctuation of the IFG IS a calibration. Its in the manual somewhere. It just happens kinda often, which I find weird. Makes me think its a bug sometimes, but I'm sure its just that: a calibration.
I doubt that it's a calibration. It only happens when coasting on a cold engine, in my experience.