When to do first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When to do first oil change

Originally Posted by MagneticPearl06
For what its worth, I would use the oil that is recommended in the manual.
It is, Mobile 1 makes a 0W20 weight full synthetic.

Old 03-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Vegetarian

I just got my oil changed this week. I don't know when it was changed before I owned it, but this was the first time we've had it changed, and I've put ~9k miles on it. I've got a little window kling on my windshield that suggests changing the oil again in 3k miles. I wouldn't think I'd really have to change it again so soon. Does anyone know if the Honda dealership uses synthetic oil?

Old 03-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

all commercially avaiable 0W20 is synthetic. If you specify for them to use 0W20 (which is what the manual syas for the HCH?) it will be synthetic. That's why their lube specials always exclude hybrids.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Vegetarian

Thanks. I had a feeling that might be the case. I had to pay extra for an "Insight" oil change, 0W-20.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonavy
all commercially avaiable 0W20 is synthetic. If you specify for them to use 0W20 (which is what the manual syas for the HCH?) it will be synthetic. That's why their lube specials always exclude hybrids.
Good info. Are you sure it's a full synthetic and not "just" a synthetic blend? My old '03 Ranger 4cyl called for a 5W20 "synthetic blend".

Old 03-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: When to do first oil change

Originally Posted by mexiken
masgian:

Ditto. I've got 6300, and I'm actually at 30%. It looks like it will land between 9 and 10 K. Great !!!!
I don't think there's any magic to the oil life indicator. It's set to go down 10% every 1,000 miles until you reach 10,000 miles just as the manual recommends.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

dshelman,

I disagree with your analysis of the oil life indicator (assuming you weren't trying just to be funny - hard to read sarcasm on a website sometimes) I have a much heavier city / short trip mix than many of the members here and my oil life indicator tends to go down 10% about every 650 miles give or take. And my 2006 Civic Hybrid owner's manual doesn't say anything about 10K service interval - it says to use the maintenance minder.

Eric

Old 03-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by williaea
dshelman,

I disagree with your analysis of the oil life indicator (assuming you weren't trying just to be funny - hard to read sarcasm on a website sometimes) I have a much heavier city / short trip mix than many of the members here and my oil life indicator tends to go down 10% about every 650 miles give or take. And my 2006 Civic Hybrid owner's manual doesn't say anything about 10K service interval - it says to use the maintenance minder.

Eric
I believe that you are right. I believe that the computer takes in account RPM, engine load and maybe other factors to determine the oil life.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think it takes in engine temperature as a big part of the equation, how long the engine is run before it's fully up to normal operating temps. Lots of short trips in the city will bring the oil life meter down quicker than lots of long highway driving where the engine is rarely cold.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Rarely post anything

Since the OLM has come into question, I thought I'd post my observations on the OLM built into the '06 Hondas...my car has been exposed to rather cold temps (up to -10F) since I've taken delivery, and I drive it lightly, for mileage, but I also drive a lot of miles (about 3900 in 9 weeks of ownership).

I happened to just catch the first two 10% decreases. The first was at 750mi almost exactly. At that point, I wondered... "will it decrease 10% every 750mi, to show 0% at 7500mi ?" (7500mi is the mileage at which the old system would flash and stay lit as a reminder to change the oil - but it wasn't an 'intelligent' system, the way this one is supposed to be.

As the car approached 1500mi, I kept my eye on the OLM. Right about 1550mi, it dropped from 90% to 80%. I started wondering how 'intelligent' the OLM really was, and figured I'd see the next change at about 2100-2400mi.

70% came along at....2508mi So far, the reductions were looking pretty darned linear to me - every 800mi on average. Temps had been increasing a little bit, but no higher than about 40-45F on average.

A few days ago, the OLM dropped to 60% - at about 3350mi., or about 850mi since the last decrease.

So, to recap:
100 > 90% = 750mi
90 > 80% = 1550mi (800mi elapsed)
80 > 70% = 2508mi (958mi " )
70 > 60% = 3350mi (842mi " )

From what I remember, the following criteria are evaluated to calculate the oil life:
Avg Trip length (shorter depletes oil life % remaining faster)
Avg RPM (higher depletes % faster)
Avg Temperature (lower depletes faster)

Now...given that the 1st 10% came during some of the coldest part of our winter up here... at about 1700mi, initial break-in occurred...an additional break-in at about 2200-2300mi, initial tire tread wore off and decreased rolling resistance somewhere along the line...and it's gotten warmer out in the last few days...

What approximate mileage will the OLM in my car decrease to 50% ? (I'm going with 4000mi, myself)

Quick Reply: When to do first oil change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands