value of 03 Hybrid for parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default value of 03 Hybrid for parts?

I've got a 2003 Civic Hybrid with 200k miles on it. OOPS- it's an 04 Hybrid. The hybrid batteries were replaced under warranty by the PO at about 118k. The engine and batteries work well and the car drives well, but it's got a few expensive repairs needed. The a/c stopped working (bad news in Sacramento in the summer), the right front lower control arm is shot and yesterday the ignition key wouldn't turn. I'm thinking of parting it out or selling it whole as a parts car, but hoping to get about $1,000.00 out of it. Is there a market for the hybrid batteries, and if so, what's the going rate?

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2020, 10:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: value of 03 Hybrid for parts?

IMHO, you can do the compressor (salvage yard, it's just a regular compressor) and control arm yourself for probably under $400 (includes your own vacuum pump and manifold gauges/oil/R-134a). Not sure about the ignition, but I've replaced ignition switches for under $300.

Is your refrigerant just low? That would make the A/C fix a $30 job (hose + cans of R-134a).

What would you pay for a hybrid battery that has 88K miles on it when the original only lasted 118K? Replacements were often less reliable than the original due to the change in relationship between Honda/Panasonic/Sanyo.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but there's probably more value in fixing it and driving it than there is in trying to get 1K out of it.

If all you want is $1K, advertise it on CL for $1500 and take $1000.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks S Keith, I'm going back and forth over whether it's worth it to me to put more work into this or just sell it. It's an extra car that I really don't need. The A/C problem is that the compressor froze up, and I'm told the whole system is likely filled with black gunk. I was all set to do the lower control arm when the ignition key went bad. If I can find a cheap fix for the ignition key problem, I'll probably fix the lower control arm, but a replacement ignition is $550 just for the part, and I'm leery of buying a used ignition since it's likely to go bad soon, as I've read it's a common problem in these cars. Plus, the car is just beat up overall.

If anyone has any ideas on fixing the ignition key issue, let me know. The one option I'm looking at now is taking it apart and removing the wafers that appear to be stuck and hoping that will fix the problem, at least for awhile.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It usually goes without saying, but triple-check the steering wheel isn't jammed up against the stop preventing turning of the ignition key.

If it truly is stuck, cleaning/lubricating an ignition is an option. I would start with electronics cleaner and compressed air. Any lubricant (oil, graphite, etc.) should be used very sparingly and applied only to key.