Valet Key for 06 HCH II????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Valet Key for 06 HCH II????

I just picked up my 06 HCH II (No Nav) and only recieved 2 keys - both of them have the remote keyfobs integrated into them. I was reviewing the owners manual and it mentioned a Valet Key. Was I suppose to get a Valet Key as well?

Has anyone gotten one? If it's not part of the original deal, anyone actually buy one from the dealer?

As I work 80 miles from my house, I like to keep an extra key on me - but did not to use my other remote entry key as my extra.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Valet Key for 06 HCH II????

Mine came with two full remote keys and a gray valet key which is only slightly larger than your normal chunky plastic car key. Go ask the dealer for one, it should be standard equipment.

Packrat

Old 04-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast

I got a Valet Key,along with 2 of the remote keyfobs when I picked up my car. Oversight on the dealer's part in your case I suspect.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Really pisses me off I can't just get a plain metal key for the HCH. That enormous thing really clutters up my keyring. Plus its a hundred bucks. Freaking idiotic.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
Really pisses me off I can't just get a plain metal key for the HCH. That enormous thing really clutters up my keyring. Plus its a hundred bucks. Freaking idiotic.
The keys are 'clunky' and expensive because they have the security transponder in them. You can get a 'plain metal' key, which should unlock the doors fine, but it won't start your engine.

I know people on the Insight forum who have put in remote starters...that typically involved cutting apart one of the keys and mounting the transponder inside the steering column (or somewhere close to the lock).

Old 04-17-2006, 08:00 AM

The only problem with doing that is that you defeat the security. The best way is to get a bypass unit and hook it into the remotestart. Then ONLY the remotestart or your key can start the car.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
The only problem with doing that is that you defeat the security. The best way is to get a bypass unit and hook it into the remotestart. Then ONLY the remotestart or your key can start the car.
See...there you go! I knew there had to be a better way!

Old 04-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JimHolmgren
The keys are 'clunky' and expensive because they have the security transponder in them. You can get a 'plain metal' key, which should unlock the doors fine, but it won't start your engine.

WTF good is a key that won't start the engine? If some idiot is going to steal my car they're going to do it with or without the lame security chip. The result is I have to carry that dumbass huge crap on my keyring for no good reason. There's no other solution. It sucks.

Funny thing is, my insurance deductible is only slightly higher than the cost of a new key for this car, so what's the use to me of that security feature if it doesn't even save me anything - whether the car gets ripped off or not? If we have more than two drivers in the family, plus one spare, those two extra keys have now exceeded the cost of my deductible. So again I ask, why should I like that gigantic key? It saves me nothing, in fact costs me more than a stolen car would, and it's a pain in the @ss to carry around.

The conclusion for me is, I will rate my own convenience much higher than security of the vehicle. Add to that the fact that most car security features don't really stop thieves anyway, and you've got a whole lot of effort and hassle for nothing.

At this rate, they might as well just disable the car completely to keep it from getting stolen. That way, nobody can steal it because it's totally nonfunctional. In exchange for that security feature I simply have to get used to the minor inconvenience of never being able to use the car. Call me silly, but it's really not that far off.

Last edited by zimbop; 04-17-2006 at 12:30 PM.