Used 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Used 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Questions...

I have found/been offered a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Automatic for $12,900 with 23,000 miles. It seems to have only been sent to the dealer for "Electrical system checked" and "Body electrical system checked" as well as regular scheduled maintenance.

It seems like a steal, but I've never purchased a hybrid let alone a used one. It comes up clean, but I have a few questions.

Would a hybrid which obviously hasn't been driven much affect the battery at all in a negative way?

Are those warranties for 8/80,000 miles transferable to a new owner on the battery? It will be a 6 year old car soon, so I would have another 2 years of warranty on the battery. I also live in California and I thought I heard something about it being covered to 100,000 miles. I also don't want to be coughing up 5k for a new battery in two years. It will completely destroy the reason for buying this car since I would not receive any gas savings.

Does anyone have any experience with used hybrids. Any suggestions? The car was found through one of those credit union car finders.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Think green.
Default Re: Used 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Questions...

Hi.
I bought a used '04 back in 2006. It had a little less than 27,000 miles on it at the time. I bought from a dealer, and it was certified, but I got the extended warranty just in case. No problems with the battery at all; it seems fine. The only problems I encountered so far were a seat belt sensor that required a computer reset, and a minor transmission judder that required a fluid change to remedy. Both items were covered under the warranty.

From what I've read the extended warranty is transferable between private parties. I think there's a fee of $50 to do a transfer. Not sure what sort of paper trail that would have to follow though. Maybe ask if there is a warranty booklet in the car's glove compartment that is currently valid. There should be transfer information in it. But maybe the original warranty from Honda is still in effect and you wouldn't have to do any of the above.

There are also websites where you can purchase an extended warranty. Do a google for "honda warranty" and you should find some links.

You could also try asking a dealer what the warranty coverage is on a used car that you buy privately in CA, or you could try phoning American Honda in Torrance, CA. I think the number is 1(800)999-5901
Ask specifically what the coverage is for CA since it's supposed to be a longer warranty on the battery for CA cars.

Is there any way for you to get any more detail on what the electrical system checks were for?

Last edited by Gairwyn; 04-09-2009 at 11:09 AM.