Trunk space

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Trunk space

I'm still having a hard time convincing the other half to go for a HCHII. It's that or an Acura CSX.... One big issue is the trunk space. Question for one of you guys. Is there enough place back there to put the 4 winter tires with the wheels. That should be the last one in the 'against' column.

/Vincent

Old 04-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trunk space

The answer to this question is NO for the HCHII.

But I think it's also the same answer for the Acura CSX. (For my american friend, most of you already know that but a CSX is a more than fully equiped Honda Civic available only in Canada.)

I was only able to put 2 in the trunk and the 2 others where sitting on the back seat.

May be this might help you to convince your other half:

Mostly driving to work everyday in traffic condition + city driving.

If you speak french, you can PM me for more information.

My current tank, and still not empty.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

This may be off topic...but why would you want to put all four winter tires and wheels in the trunk? Added weight equals lower fuel economy. So far the trunk space has been ample for shopping trips, etc. No complaints here. It's no SUV, but that is why we bought the HCH II!

Old 04-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I wont be bringing the tires to the garage in my hands . The tire thing is sort of our personnal 'gauge' for sizing the cargo space. We typically put the tires in the trunk, drive the kids to school, go to work, stop by the garage, get the kids back and go home...

Now, my other problem is the low millage commute. We do about 8Km daily commute. The only big drives are shopping on weekend and occasinnal drive to the cottage (100km). Yearly, we do only ~13000km. Plus those Montreal winters will kill millage.

I've been looking in the millage database but it hard to find specific comparision to my situation, so that I could get a better feel from what I could expect from the HCH II

Old 04-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I leave m golf clubs in the trunk of the 04 hch all the time. There's plenty of room in there for day-to-day use and weekend trips without having to take the clubs out. That way I can stop for a round whenever the mood strikes.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I've tried to get tires into my 2003 - only 2 will fit. The 3rd and 4th had to ride in the back seat. However, the two fit completely, and there was lots of room to spare. Just not enought for another tire.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vrouleau
...Now, my other problem is the low millage commute. We do about 8Km daily commute. The only big drives are shopping on weekend and occasinnal drive to the cottage (100km). Yearly, we do only ~13000km. Plus those Montreal winters will kill millage.

I've been looking in the millage database but it hard to find specific comparision to my situation, so that I could get a better feel from what I could expect from the HCH II
8 km? Well, that's going to be an issue, especially when it is cold outside. You will not see great mileage with that short of a commute, no matter what you do. The cold engine/warm engine ratio is way to high! But then, you will not see very good mileage from ANY car with that short of a commute, unless it is an all electric, which, of course, is not readily available.

With a short commute you may be better of with a Prius, but I'm not sure. I'm speculating that you will spend slightly more time driving with just the electric motor, so it may help. Or, wait for the 2008 Prius - it is supposed to have more EV only ability (see other threads on the site).

But, it you do decide on the HCH or whatever, I'd highly recommend a block heater. The shorter your commute, the more a block heater will help you. You don't need to leave it plugged in all night, just put it on a timer and run it for 2-3 hours before you leave in the morning.

Or, move further away from work!

Old 04-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Z71
Enthusiast

Where do you get and how do you install a block heater?
Rick

Old 04-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toast64
8 km?

Or, move further away from work!
Or, for 8km, maybe just ride a bike. :-)

(Just wishful thinking for me, my commute is 80 mi. I know I made that choice for myself, and hope to reconcile it soon, but at least I'm not doing it in a guzzler.)

Old 04-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z71
Where do you get and how do you install a block heater?
Rick
Rick,

I had the Honda dealer install mine. Cost me $150 installed.

But if you want to install it yourself, you should be able to do it for under $60. You'll have to deal with draining antifreeze, though, and removing/reinstalling those covers under the engine.

Lot's of web sites sell the Honda block heater. Here's just one example:

http://www.hondapartssuperstore.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_259_263_271

When researching mine, I saw sites that sell them that also have the instructions posted, which look pretty straightforward, but I don't have the site URL handy.

If you are interested in the cost of running it, it is a 400 watt unit, so you can run it for 2 1/2 hours for one kwh (you won't find this out from a Honda dealer - I had to put a meter on mine to determine the wattage). Check your electric bill to find out how much you're paying for a kwh. I bought a heavy duty timer for about $5 and run it for 2 1/2 hours before my morning commute.

Quick Reply: Trunk space

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands