Thinking of jumping ship

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Thinking of jumping ship

Hey, I drove a Volt today, I am really thinking about trading in the Civic & going with the Volt, the main things I am concerned about it trade in value and tax issues as I am visiting out of state....but...I am in LOVE with the Volt, this is a tough one.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thinking of jumping ship

With gas high and the Japan crisis going to cause new car shortages, you should fetch a good price for the Civic. I used to think the Volt was a joke until I drove one.

It has a few too many gadgets for me but driving about 40 miles on about a dollar in electricity is too cool.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 AM

How is the Volt when you run out of EV? H

Old 05-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Shouldnt make a difference, I don't know, I did not drive enough to get there (that would have been more than 40 miles) but, as I understand it, there are 4 modes, electric engine 1, electric 1+2, generator running the same directly and both plus gas driving the wheels directly, I pushed it pretty hard, gas never came on.
I drove it in normal mode, there is also a sport mode (I see no reason to need more power) and a mountain mode, the mountain mode is something you engage 20 minutes before engaging a long grade, it builds up a higher reserve and is more conserative...I understand in the right circumstances it can run low enough on power to go into a cripple home mode and run with reduced power/speed till it can catch up on its power reserve.
at any rate, I have decided to wait till they are available in Spokane, Wa st. has an incentive of no sales tax on alternate energy cars leased/bought in the state before 2015 so there is incentive to wait...will also give me a chance to see how they do in the real world for a year or so...but, I really like the car and I think that is the way I am going to go....my driving habits/routine is such that the only time I would use gas is when it is too cold to run on electricty and when it runs a cycle to burn off the gas to keep it fresh.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:13 PM

All I can say is it must be a very good driving car for you to jump from a Honda, as Honda makes a well designed Auto in all aspects. EV is probably the way of the future however. H

Old 05-21-2011, 07:52 PM

Indeed, to make me consider any american made car this seriously is a feat...I am also quite impressed by the Ford Fusion Hybrid, but, in Spokane they are vaporware in that they do not exist in the dealers eyes and they will do NOTHING to get one....so, I decided to just forget about that...I am visiting so cal, I went by a dealer who had 2 Volts on the lot, I just had to drive one....what can I say, a mid size car that is amazingly quiet, getting on the freeway with 4 men on board (700 lbs maybe) was able to push us back in our seat and oh, by the way 30 minutes of driving it a little hard getting on the freeway twice in so cal where you have to move to merge, I used 1 bar of power and it registered 250mpg :-) where I think it maxes out...It also had a very smooth stable ride on the groved pavement....very nice indeed, the loudest sound when stopped is the a/c fan.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:59 AM

What was the selling price Bob? I hear they are over $40,000. H

Old 05-22-2011, 09:33 AM

Yes, they start at about 41K...pretty loaded, leather (which I don't want, back up camera are extra) they are talking about $400 for a lease though, I can afford that and, my logic is for the first 3 years there is no risk on new tech....then, get a new one and let them deal with the rest. I am sure those who only equate cost per mile are going to have a field day with this one but, why drive a car you don't want because it is cheaper...I am sure those who buy 50K trucks arent worried someone wont think they "pencil out" :-)

Old 05-22-2011, 06:44 PM

Makes sense! H

Old 05-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast

I guess it makes sense if most of your driving is local or less than 20 miles to work. Would not make sense for me , most of my driving is 200 miles or more and the Volt only gets in the mid 30's when it is on ICE, at least that is what I have read from owners

Quick Reply: Thinking of jumping ship

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands