These things handle pretty well... AUTOCROSS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default These things handle pretty well... AUTOCROSS!

I run a big National car event with a certain bunch of grand-touring sports cars. Some of these cars have modified up to over 500hp... stock they can be between 166 and 320hp depending on the model. I no longer own this type of car but mine was REALLY set up with around 520hp, and VERY nice suspension, etc. Plus I was able to lean it out and get 30mpg on the highway.

We had an autocross at the event and for the heck of it I ran the HCH.

My best time on the track was 1:07.13. The fastest time of day was 57.01, the slowest car was 1:16.53.

So I was right in the middle, plus I had a rider on each run, 130 to 170 extra pounds in an HCH makes a big difference. I only ran 2 runs to everyone else's 4 runs, and I believe I could have gotten into the 1:03 to 1:05 range without a rider and with a couple other runs.

I'll say that the car handled well, especially on the "skidpad" portion. I also screwed around and did an e-brake "drift" (not really enough power to get it to drift). It was responsive on the hard turns as well as the slalom areas. Braking was good/decent but of course acelleration was pretty bad.

I won't autocross it again but I did get a lot of props for the times I was able to get with "that little electric car" LOL

Old 06-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Just getting rolling ...
Default Re: These things handle pretty well... AUTOCROSS!

Ha ha ha, I've been meaning to ask about auto-crossing. Looks like you and the car did quite well.

Makes me wonder how many people have gotten speeding tickets in their hybrids (:

Old 06-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure how the HCH-II handles by comparison to the HCH-I, but since I got the new tire setup on mine, the handling has been absolutely phenomenal around turns. I have a lot of tight twisting turns on the trip down from my house, and the car is quite fun to take quickly through them (within reason, of course). The cars also probably do better than they otherwise would with such low horsepower because of the CVT, which makes use of that power effectively during accelerations.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LoudMusic
Makes me wonder how many people have gotten speeding tickets in their hybrids (:

[raises hand]

I do have to admit that in my old car I ran about 6 or 7 autocrosses a year for 4 years, plus had 3 High Performance Driving Education schools, I instruct Road Course events for smaller clubs, etc. So I am a decent driver... and many of these drivers were first-timers.

BUT the course was set up pretty big and open, which would favor the high-horsepower cars.

Yes the CVT was pretty cool, put it in L and GO. I didn't have to worry at all about shifting or what gear I should be in... and I was able to gas-it early out of corners (which I am used to since my old car had BIG turbos on it).

The car did have a "warm electrical" smell after the 1st run, but not after the 2nd... and my batteries were down to 2 lines after the 2nd run... I probably would have had to go driving for a while to charge'em up before running again. Definately not practical for autocross...

I did win a $30 bet, and another guy had to wear Speedos in the hotel pool that night because I beat them!