Test Drove 06 Civic Hybrid - odd engine smell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Test Drove 06 Civic Hybrid - odd engine smell?

As a 25-year veteran of the wholesale automotive industry, I can assure you that these burning odors are quite normal on new vehicles. The oils and coatings usually burn off within 1,000 miles. Nothing to worry about.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Katz6768
I apologize for getting off topic, but this is what I see when I read this posting about the new Civic's odor:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi.../4/7/page1.JPG

Can the administrators of this group be more selective about what gets advertised ?
You mean there are ads on this web site? With my popup and ad blockers I've never seen one. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

After we test drove the car we ultimately bought yesterday, I smelled the same thing.

It actually smells like Brakes more than anything else. That could be from the regenerative braking system breaking in. (Nice homonym use in that last statement!)

Otherwise it would make sense that the various metal in the car is losing its from-fractory coatings (Exhaust, Brakes, Cat Conv., etc.).

My 2 cents...

Old 05-05-2006, 07:31 AM
2006 Civic Hybrid
Smile Re: Test Drove 06 Civic Hybrid - odd engine smell?

Originally Posted by mickster
It actually smells like Brakes more than anything else. That could be from the regenerative braking system breaking in. (Nice homonym use in that last statement!)
The physical brakes are not used at all to capture kinetic energy, Honda's IMA regenerative breaking system uses the electric motor in generator mode (http://world.honda.com/HDTV/IMA/200110/).

My HCH-II has just turned 3000 miles and I smell a kerosene type odor now and then too, I attribute it to exhaust and catalytic equipment break-in.

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about...

Old 05-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: Test Drove 06 Civic Hybrid - odd engine smell?

Originally Posted by TreeHugr
The physical brakes are not used at all to capture kinetic energy, Honda's IMA regenerative breaking system uses the electric motor in generator mode (http://world.honda.com/HDTV/IMA/200110/).

I was not aware of that fact. So on deceleration, the IMA grabs the juice from the electric motor-pretty cool-and a heck of a lot easier to service!

Thanks,

Michael

Old 05-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just picked ours up and got the smell too. Smells like the metal is all breaking in and coatings are burning off, as others have written