“Tbaleno takes the Gloves Off” w/ his CVT based HCH - P&G ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: “Tbaleno takes the Gloves Off” w/ his CVT based HCH - P&G ;-)

Interesting concept but...
If you just press the gas pedal the engine will start instantly, if you loose vacuum on the power brake booster it will also start, like I said before, it works on the Insight, and I'd assume it would also work on the HCH.
While currently with a key-operated FAS I have to manually restart with the key. How is that way different?

I might look into this when my car is out of warranty.

Old 11-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

I followed a link to this thread from InsightCentral ... with all the talk on Pulse & Glide lately, I thought it might be good to bump it up, let some of the newbies read it. Very informative post on technique that I haven't read before. I wouldn't mind if Tbaleno or Xcel described the engagement of the CVT after coming back on from a Key Forced Auto-Stop, ... from another post I read it would seem like having the key in the II position and pressing the gas while in D would be able to start the motor but I may be missing an important piece of information, or it may be harmful to the transmission. It seems that shifting and allowing the RPMs to catch up to the speed is not harmful if you allow patience? Wayne said something about CVT belt life. I might try the TRUE P&G technique later, still waiting for the temperature to stay high enough to maximize results.

Again, VERY informative post.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:24 AM
04 prius 350,000km

Hm after reading this I wonder if Wayne conducted the same experiment with a first gen prius? I know the 2nd gen prius is capable but it sounds like the HCH I can blow the first one in terms of driving for mileage. Good points!