Taking off issues with transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Taking off issues with transmission?

I'm just wondering if it might be a IMA motor recalibration in progress, though this is a longshot. It will give somewhat similar symptoms.

When you're taking off and experience the "slippage", check your IMA assist/charge display: see if you're getting multiple white bars indicating assist. If there are no white bars (or just 1-2 bars when you really mash the gas) during moderate acceleration you're likely in the midst of a IMA recalibration, when the computer restricts assist and force-charges the IMA battery. If it is a recal you would also likely be seeing 2-4 green bars of assist at idle, and Auto-Stop would not work.

Regarding the wrong CVT fluid, I think you're in line for a free CVT flush, at the dealer's expense: they are only supposed to use Honda CVT fluid. The flush consists of 3-4 drain/replacement of the fluid, coupled with a short drive after each replacement.

The flush procedure is outlined in the Owners Manual, and is actually a cause of some confusion: it is sort-of inferred to be the usual method to change CVT fluid. In fact a single change is the norm, and the flush procedure is only needed in case of contamination, which is the case for you.

Since only about half the fluid drains each time, these multiple replacments are necessary to get most of the wrong fluid out. The fluid is expensive, BTW.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 09-25-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default new 03 civic hybrid owner already having problems

I purchased a 2003 HCH way back in January and it was a nightmare just getting the correct title paperwork from the seller (I bought it out of state). Just got it titled last week. I got a great deal on it at $3200 but it has 140,000 miles and now I'm seeing why. I'm experiencing the same grinding/lurching problems when accelerating and now the IMA light is on after driving only a few days. Plan on going to a honda dealership to have them diagnose. If they tell me it needs a new transmission, I will just ask them to flush it out with the CVT fluid to buy me some time (since I see this only lasts for a few thousand miles based on others' comments) so I can resell it. I'm obviously out of the warranty time/mileage. I'm sure I can get at least (if not more than) what I paid for it. A new transmission will cost me more than that.

Think I'm going to get a Prius. Way less problems. Wish I would have seen this forum before I bought the car. But I'm glad I'm seeing it now before I wasted more money on the honda hybrid.

As a side note, I've owned a 1997 honda accord for over 5 years and never had any major problems. If I ever do honda again, i'm sticking with the non hybrid models. Good luck to everyone.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I will have to agree that the Prius is a very reliable Auto. Hard to find better. I have one of each. I prefer the HCH2 and my Wife likes the Prius! H

Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast

Have you experienced any problems with your civic hybrid? May I ask what year it is? Thanks!