Summer of '08 HCH High Scores

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Summer of '08 HCH High Scores

There have been a couple of threads lately about not getting the EPA mileage in an HCH so I thought it was about time for a thread about the other side of the EPA guidelines. If you have a really good round trip, and you can take a picture when you are done--please post it up on this thread. It would be great if you told a little about the drive and what you did to get your "score."

I would like to see this thread go on all summer if possible, and if people are willing to keep playing (i.e. posting). Of course, please don't do anything unsafe in the name of high mpg--just a disclaimer.

Let the games begin!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:08 PM

My first entry.

Temps in the high 80s with no AC used, and the engine was warm when I left the garage from my commute home. The drive was downhill to the airport which is the perfect 45mph, slightly downhill glide for the HCH and I was still over 110mpg when I started the return trip home. Going there was the first time that I've bounced off the 150mpg barrier in traffic. I think I could have broken 80mpg if I didn't stop at Lowes and Chick-fil-a on the way home...

Old 06-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Summer of '08 HCH High Scores

This thread could prove to be very interesting. Hopefully there will be some folks who show how they get high MPG in hilly, heavily trafficked areas (such as San Francisco)!!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by boplives
This thread could prove to be very interesting. Hopefully there will be some folks who show how they get high MPG in hilly, heavily trafficked areas (such as San Francisco)!!
Absolutely! I thought of this post idea after having a great drive, but I was a little hesitant to post my picture for fear of setting the bar or something. I would hope to see as many 50mpg trips from people used to getting 30mpg in this thread as I would 80mpg trips!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

This is on my regular commute to work. The first 8 miles is 25-35 mph, the next 6 miles is 55 mph and the last 3 miles is 65. I usually drive about 10% below the speed limit. However, I am experimenting with some different speeds and have actually found slightly better results by going a little faster than I have been driving.

Last edited by lawndart; 06-03-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:13 AM
my other car is a FJORD

this is the best for an extended run, over 400 miles. taken on a road trip to new york.

i have done this one several times, home from town. rolling hills with one steep uphill onto our road.

this is my best ever. calm day, country road with a slightly rolling uphill, and then turned onto a long curving very slight downhill. my speed was about 45mph, and i did the glide until it stopped. i was actually testing a course for a driving clinic we were giving later in the day.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Theatrical Technician

I have been averaging a little better than 50mpg. New Civic only 4400 miles. I drive with the flow of traffic unless cars are going over 65mph. I drive with a very light foot, keep the rpm under 2000, try to avoid the breaks, and follow trucks at high highway speeds.

I'm now using mid-grade gas which has always given me great results and savings with all of my previous cars. Here is an article I posted a year ago or so about
Saving Money With Mid-grade Gas.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 AM

My last tank went 842 miles and pumped 13.2g gallons for about 63MPG

-Steve

Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
My last tank went 842 miles and pumped 13.2g gallons for about 63MPG

-Steve
Just curious--how do you get 13.2 gallons into your tank? The owner's manual for my 2008 HCH says the tank capacity is 12.3 gallons.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boplives
Just curious--how do you get 13.2 gallons into your tank? The owner's manual for my 2008 HCH says the tank capacity is 12.3 gallons.
I know, I know! He could do that because he has a 2004 Civic CVT Hybrid and the HCH-I has a 13.2 gallon tank. I have accidentally run my 2005 HCH completely dry and was able to put 13.4 gallons in it without topping it off.

Quick Reply: Summer of '08 HCH High Scores

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands