Stupid hills!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Witch
Default Re: Stupid hills!

All that crying for nothing...

Seems I am still able to squeeze more out of it. After more reading on here regarding the EV mode while coasting down hills, I was able to pick up a substantial increase just on my way home from work. Now I am up to 53.6 and was at 53.8 prior to the dreaded hill I complained about earlier.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Stupid hills!

Originally Posted by tylers65

Any pointers for getting up hills at the posted speed limit while still keeping some of my fuel economy?
This sounds a little like asking: "Is there anything I can do differently to improve my mileage without doing anything different?"

Something has got to change to make an improvement. Driving With the Load is the method we use to improve mileage in the hills. This involves losing speed to the hill going up and gaining that speed back on the next downhill. Powering up a hill at the speed limit is going to kill your MPG every time.

One thing you can do to help is anticipate the hill and speed up somewhat in high gear before you get to the hill. That way you will have more speed to lose to the hill. If you do this too soon you will lose MPG to increased wind resistance. If you do it too late you will require a downshift on the hill and lose MPG to RPMs. Timing is everything. Some practice should help.