Storage Advice, please

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Insomniac
Question Storage Advice, please

Hello, all!
Can you help me out with some advice regarding storage of my civic hybrid? I just found out that I will be spending the summer in Germany and won't be using my car for nine weeks. Can I just leave it in the garage for all that time? Or must someone drive it during that period? I have no idea, so thanks in advance for anything you can suggest!

Old 05-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Storage Advice, please

Originally Posted by perli
Hello, all!
Can I just leave it in the garage for all that time? Or must someone drive it during that period? I have no idea, so thanks in advance for anything you can suggest!
You should have someone drive it at least once a month for about 30 min. to keep the IMA battery charged. Also, do not allow the traditional 12 volt battery to go dead either. Batteries tend to lose 10% charge or more per month. You may also want to put some fuel stabilizer in the gas tank to help keep the fuel fresh and free from moisture build up. Other than that you should be fine. I have had to store some of my other vehicles for longer periods of time and have been fine.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Your owner's manual should have information on what you should do -- my Ford Escape Hybrid has information on what to do if you won't be driving your vehicle for 1 month or more.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:02 PM

I would say, follow the instructions manual also.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:13 PM

I have left vehicles parked for long periods, including nearly a year through a cold minnesota winter, with no ill effects. I know there's rules of thumb about these things, but if your car is in good condition I wouldn't worry about it AT ALL. Especially since it will be in your garage, and it's summer. Park it and forget about it.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:53 AM
2006 Civic Hybrid

Originally Posted by zimbop
I have left vehicles parked for long periods, including nearly a year through a cold minnesota winter, with no ill effects. I know there's rules of thumb about these things, but if your car is in good condition I wouldn't worry about it AT ALL. Especially since it will be in your garage, and it's summer. Park it and forget about it.
Perli, ignore Zimbop's advice. By their very nature Hybrid cars cannot be "parked and forgotten about" as Zimbop claims.

The 12V battery should never be allowed to lose it's charge and should be disconnected if you plan to park your HCH for up to 30 days and the IMA battery must go through a charge cycle for at least 30 minutes every 30 days (Manual page 213) to keep it fresh. If the IMA battery fully discharges it will no longer accept a charge and must be replaced.

My advice, give your keys to a trusted family member and ask them to drive your HCH for an hour or two every week, who knows, you may convince them to get one too!

Have a good trip, Germany is awesome (I lived there 12 years)!

Last edited by TreeHugr; 05-02-2006 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by TreeHugr

If the IMA battery fully discharges it will no longer accept a charge and must be replaced.
Where are you getting this information?

Old 05-02-2006, 06:02 AM
2006 Civic Hybrid

Let me rephrase: If the IMA battery fully discharges it may no longer accept a charge and may need to be replaced.

It's rare, but it's happend before: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...attery+Failure

Last edited by TreeHugr; 05-02-2006 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:31 AM

Rare, eh? So is getting struck by lightning, but I don't spend my vacation planning time worrying about how to avoid lightning.

My point is that you should stick to the real stuff. The manual is probably the best guide, but be careful about what advice you take from others. Some people enjoy this kind of stuff. Some don't. I don't and have had very little problem just leaving vehicles as they are.

I know some people who believe in sta-bil and all those sorts of storage solutions, but in my experience they've been the kind of people who feel like their car should own them. They treat it like a child and care for it that way, spending their saturdays washing it and "working" on it. Regular stuff isn't good enough for their car-child. They buy 'special' oil and filters and plugs, and are generally the type of people who go to the auto parts store even when they don't need anything, in hopes they'll find some new car-love product to try. These are the people who think sta-bil should be a part of their daily life. These are the people who think they need a crate full of car care products in their garage. I have never heard a true expert advocate any of these things - most of this 'advice' seems to originate from the people trying to sell it to you.

If that's your cup of tea, by all means enjoy it. You have spent a lot of money on your car so please get whatever joy from it you want. If that means doting over it 24/7 and buying it special vitamins, and manicure products, have at it.

If, however, doting over your car in that way is not how you want to spend your time, then I'd say, it's summer, your battery will probably be fine, especially in the garage. Probably worst case is you'll need a jump or charge when you get home. Big deal. Do what the manual reccommends and beyond that forget it. Park the car and spend your time thinking about your vacation, not your car.

I'm not trying to talk anyone who enjoys it out of doing this stuff, I'm simply offering a liberating perspective for the person who doesn't want to worry about all that stuff, so they can take a vacation and enjoy it worry-free. Peace.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:49 PM

Perli,
As others have said, the recommendations for storage are in the owner's manual, page 213. IMO, some of them are meant for longer term storage, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to do them all to protect your new investment. And, it it were me, I would try to arrange to have the car started and driven around a bit at least once during that three month period. The owner's manual suggests at least once per month. You really don't want to risk harming your new baby!!

Last edited by toast64; 05-02-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Storage Advice, please

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands