Splash Guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Owner
Default Splash Guards

Does anyone think splash guards could produce additional wind resistance that could hurt the fuel efficiency? My car dealer is recommending them to me. He doesn't know much about hybrids.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:23 AM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default Re: Splash Guards

Just about anything added to the outside of your car is going to produce drag and reduce fuel economy. That said, I have the splash gaurds on my Prius and I'm still getting great numbers. I look at it this way. A little lower FE because of the mud guards is keeping me from wasting lots of water washing the black car every other day. Do what you want and find your own rational. A hybrid with a little extra drag is better than an SUV with one occupant. IF we don't enjoy and customize our cars to our liking we are less likely to attract the averge joe to the hybrid market. I pretty much draw the line at the big spoiler wings on the back though!

Old 01-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moosh
Does anyone think splash guards could produce additional wind resistance that could hurt the fuel efficiency? My car dealer is recommending them to me. He doesn't know much about hybrids.
I could think of a lot more things that would reduce your FE and would be easily fixed (e.g., driving techique). Besides, splash guards help to reduce paint chips on yours and other driver's cars. These should be standard equipment.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Owner

I figure they go right behind the tires, where the wheel wells exist already. So I guess there shouldn't be any additional drag.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

To definitively say if it increases drag you would have to do a complex model on a computer or actually install them and do a test with and without them in an air chamber.

Nobody here is going to do either.
The air flow around a rotating tire may affect the equation too.
We just don't know.

I am a fanatical hypermiler without splash guards.
I am pretty sure I'm going to get them for my new car.
YMMV.

Last edited by kenny; 01-06-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:21 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Splash Guards

I say get them and don't even give it another thought. It is not really worth your time. Honda I don't think would offer them or they would let you know if there was a problem with using them on the Hybrid.

Who wants the Paint Chipped off their New HCH ll ? Not-Me:

Terry

Old 01-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have the mud/splash guards on my 2005 - they help protect the car and other cars on the road from kick back (stones, etc). Since I have owned the car, I haven't noticed any fuel economy issues because of them. Like the A/C in the summer heat (in AZ especially), I'm willing to ensure I'm comfortable. Even if it sacrifices fuel economy a bit.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:16 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

I have put Splash Guards on all my Hondas. I have them for my '06 HCH along with the full mask. There hasn't been any affect on FE...mainly because I don't have the car yet.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:31 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: Splash Guards

Originally Posted by mochisushi
I have put Splash Guards on all my Hondas. I have them for my '06 HCH along with the full mask. There hasn't been any affect on FE...mainly because I don't have the car yet.
I Love this answer;

(There hasn't been any affect on FE...mainly because I don't have the car yet.)

Now That Does make Sense When You Think about it:

Laughting,

Terry

Old 01-07-2006, 01:34 AM
YA RLY.

There is a small pocket of turbulent air behind each tire as you drive. I'd bet that anything in the near vicinity (like a splashguard) will cause a near zero effect on FE because the airflow is already not smooth due to the tire. Same thing goes for stuff at the back of the car like a trailer hitch.

Quick Reply: Splash Guards

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands